By Abbey Niezgoda
Homeowners in Misquamicut saw Sandy's damage for the first time. The National Guard had been keeping them back since the storm because it was too dangerous. Thursday they were finally allowed to go beyond the barricades.
"There's nothing we can do but sit and wait," Diane Castelli said. "We never dreamed it would take this long to get in."
After flashing a resident permit, Jim and Diana Castelli drive up to their home on first street to see what Sandy left behind.
"If you come over here you can see how high the water was on the house," Castelli said. "All the way up to the side of the door."
The waters gutted their basement. Their backyard is strewn with someone else's belongings.They still say they are lucky.
"For everything that happened, we ended up pretty good," Castelli said.
It was not the same story for their cousins down the street. Sandy picked up a house on Benson Avenue like a toy.
"This is the first time we've been down to the place since it happened," Ed Castelli said. "This is the damage for their house hitting our house. It is absolutely the worst we have ever seen."
Some were seeing the destruction for the first time, others never left.
"I stayed on this couch through the whole storm," David Proctor said. "There were definitely points I didn't think I was going to make it."
Proctor works at Paddy's Resort, just one of the places the Governor stopped on a tour of what is now destroyed. The owner is vowing to rebuild.
It is the sort of willpower that will help put the sand back on the back, the homes back upright and Misquamicut back together.
"I guarantee by next summer all of these places will be open for business," Ed Castelli said. "We'll be enjoying another beautiful summer over here. We may be down, but we're not out, that's for sure."