Space heater responsible for overnight fire - ABC6 - Providence, RI and New Bedford, MA News, Weather

Space heater responsible for overnight fire

Posted: Updated:

Dee DeQuattro

ddequattro@abc6.com

An overnight fire caused by a space heater left an apartment building evacuated and close to a dozen people standing out in the cold in New Bedford.

The fire broke out in a six-family home on Harwich Street in New Bedford around 12:30 a.m. Monday.

11 people escaped from the burning building but had to stand out in single digit temperatures while firefighters controlled the fire.

After the fire was contained 9 residents were able to return to their apartments while two had to be put up in a local hotel by the Red Cross.

Powered by WorldNow

10 Orms Street Providence, R.I. 02904
401-453-8000

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WLNE.
All Rights Reserved.

For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.