RI bombing victim optimistic about her recovery - ABC6 - Providence, RI and New Bedford, MA News, Weather

RI bombing victim optimistic about her recovery

Posted: Updated:

Dee DeQuattro


38-year-old Heather Abbott held a news conference today from Brigham's and Woman's Hospital where she spoke to the [public for the first time since the Boston Marathon bomb exploded severely injuring her foot to the point where it needed to be amputated.

Abbott, a Newport Rhode Island resident and a graduate from Lincoln High School, said the only way she could describe the bombings was like "9-11."

"It was like something I had seen on T.V.," said Abbott. Abbott was waiting to get into Forum bar, like she had for the marathon many years in the past. She said it was her tradition to go to the Red Sox game and then meet friends at the bar and watch as marathoner passed the finish line.

She was in that line when the first bomb went off. "As we were standing there a loud noise went off," said Abbott, then she described smoke filled streets and people running and screaming. "By the time I turned around the second bomb had already went off," said Abbott. The bomb blew her and others into the bar.

"I felt like my foot was on fire," she said. She said she began screaming for help. "I thought who is going to help me, everyone was running for there life."

To her surprise people did come to her rescue, two men and two women got Abbott to an ambulance. Abbott said she will be meeting one of her rescuers soon and she is looking forward to the moment.

After the bombing hospital staff worked to save Abbott foot and restore blood flow but were unsuccessful. Abbott was faced with a choice; have her foot removed or live with a disfigure, unusable foot for the rest of her life.

"I just thought that this was the best option for me," said Abbott who opted for amputation. She said doctors described to her how she would be able to live a normal life with prosthesis.

Dr. Eric Bluman said Abbott is on the fast track to recovery and should be heading to rehab soon.

Bluman said 6 weeks from her last procedure she will be fitted for a temporary prosthesis and in about 6 months she will get a permanent prosthesis.

Abbott said she is optimistic about her recovery and expects to live a normal, active life after she is rehabilitated.

"I really haven't had a moment yet of being devastated because I have got so much support," said Abbott. She mentioned that her family has not left her side and there is always someone in the hospital room with her.

Powered by WorldNow

10 Orms Street Providence, R.I. 02904

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WLNE.
All Rights Reserved.

For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.