Coventry High students sent home early after gas scare - ABC6 - Providence, RI and New Bedford, MA News, Weather

Coventry High students sent home early after gas scare

Posted: Updated:

Dana Griffin

dgriffin@abc6.com

COVENTRY, RI- The smell of gas at Coventry High School was strong enough to send students home for the day.

Twice in a week, a gas odor has forced students out of the building and today, they had to be sent home.

Students say they're concerned about potential fire hazards.

Around 9:30 this morning, a fire alarm went off and students and faculty were evacuated.

National Grid says a Bunsen burner was left on. The school superintendent says there was also a leaky valve on a chemistry table.

Students were sent home as a precaution.

"I was walking the hallway before we got evacuated. There was a lot of gas, smelling a lot of gas over near the cafeterias," said 11th grader, Tyler Matola.

11th Grader, Dominic Tamborelli said, "It happens a lot and it just gets annoying. We just want it done right; fix it."

Last Thursday, a propane tank outside the school was leaking.

Coventry High will reopen tomorrow but the chemistry labs will be closed while all the valves are checked for safety.

©2013 ABC6/WLNE-TV. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by WorldNow

10 Orms Street Providence, R.I. 02904
401-453-8000

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WLNE.
All Rights Reserved.

For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.