By: Melissa Randall
Flames tore through the roof of 78 Old Quarry Road early Wednesday morning. Thick black smoke filled the air in the Harmony section of Glocester. Even the pouring rain was not enough to put out the 2–alarm fire.
"It's a terrible event. Sad. I feel very bad for the guy who lives here," said neighbor Mark Favreau.
The fire broke out around 6:30 am, just one day before Thanksgiving. The family who lives there made it out safely. Crews from across the area spent the morning battling not only the roaring flames, but also the nasty storm that has made its way to Rhode Island.
"The winds were making the fire change in all different directions at times, so yeah, it was difficult," said Stuart Pearson, the Harmony Fire Chief.
Another challenge for the firefighters was that there are no fire hydrants in the area, so water had to be brought in by tankers. The stubborn blaze was so bad at times that parts of the home collapsed.
"So at certain times we had to move personnel out of the building and certain portions of the building for their safety," said Chief Pearson.
At this time there's no official cause, but neighbors believe they know what happened. They say the fire began in the chimney.
"The flu was left open on accident, or they forgot, and just the air built in and it kind of just went," said Favreau.
The State Fire Marshals office will conduct an investigation. As for the family, neighbors tell ABC6 News they are staying with friends. There is no word on where they will spend the holiday.
© WLNE-TV 2013