If you didn't know it, January 15- 16 marked the full moon, and there were a couple news items over these past few days that have left people scratching their heads and saying, "must be because of the full moon."
Here are a few that seem just a little bit off and could be from the effects of the full moon.
1. Mayor Allan Fung's car gets broken into during the State of the State address. Well this is bizarre in and of itself. The thieves made off with a city iPad and Fung's coat. Why his coat? While a car break-in in Providence is no surprise to anyone, the fact that the Mayor's car and coat were taken is a little interesting especially in light of all the turmoil in the city of Cranston lately over the parking tickets and the Police Department.
2. A dramatic arraignment in Fall River Court on Thursday. A woman being arraigned for sex trafficking minors flipped out in court on Thursday while declaring her innocence. The woman didn't just yell, or get upset, she actually began to bang her head against the wall, causing a commotion in the court room. Check that out here.
3. Governor Chafee did not raise taxes during his final State of the State address. This from the governor who ran on the platform of "I want to raise your taxes," looks like a lot has changed in four years. The lack of any new taxes was welcomed news to most Rhode Islanders but at the same time it was a bit surprising. Even more surprising the governor got hip during his speech, quoting popular pop princess Taylor Swift at the end.
4. According to East Bay Papers, kids in Portsmouth are snorting… "Smarties".. Back in my day it was pixie sticks. The idea that these kids are literally shoving pure sugar but their nose or in some cases smoking it is beyond bizarre. The fact that a local middle school sent a letter home addressing is even stranger. I guess snorting "smarties" is a wide spread problem among pre-teens in Portsmouth.
5. The weather. Remember earlier this month when it was below zero and snowy. Now it's like April outside, in the forties and fifties and rainy. The warm weather started over the weekend and has continued all week.. I am not complaining but it is slightly off. Don't worry, you can expect freezing temperatures back by the middle of next week.
Follow me on twitter @DeeDeQuattro
Dee DeQuattro is the assignment desk manager and digital news coordinator for ABC6. She studied politics and communications and holds a master's degree from Providence College. Follow her on twitter @deedequattro and log on to ABC6 .com for her latest in depth coverage of politics and news.