A long time ago Tiverton, Rhode Island was Tiverton, Massachusetts it was incorporated by English colonist in 1694 it wasn't until 1746 and a royal decree that it became part of Rhode Island.
A home from that era is still in existence, the Chace Cory house built sometime around 1730. It's located at the historic four corners intersection. It belonged to one of the original families in Tiverton, the Chace family. It now serves as the headquarters of the Tiverton historical society.
Tiverton's history dates back to 1694 but in 1777 this city played an inspirational role in the early stages of the Revolutionary War.
With the British in control of Aquidneck Island and real concern the red coats might move North on Providence and Boston; the Continental army realized the Tiverton highlands were a great defensive location high above the Sakonnet Passage.
The Original earthen defensive Fort General Washington commissioned from 1777 is still in Tiverton.
The scenic town has quite a tale to tell about the Revolutionary War and a national war hero along with quiet beaches, amazing hiking spots, historic homes and a fancy new boat ramp not to mention fantastic homemade ice cream from Grays.