8 hospitalized in Fall River after CO scare - ABC6 - Providence, RI and New Bedford, MA News, Weather

8 hospitalized in Fall River after CO scare

Posted: Updated:
By: Dee DeQuattro
Email: ddequattro@abc6.com
Twitter: @deedequattro

Two adults and six children in Fall River were transported to the hospital on Friday to be evaluated for carbon monoxide poisoning.

Rescue crews responded to a home on Ridge Street around 10:30 a.m. after a carbon monoxide detector alerted the residents to unsafe levels of carbon monoxide.

One of the residents was vomiting and suffering from headaches and nausea, symptoms consistent with CO poisoning. The others were transported in order to be evaluated for CO poisoning.

District Fire Chief William Pappas said the incident was caused by a malfunctioning furnace which could have been emitting CO overnight.

“It just goes to show you that carbon monoxide detectors and smoke detectors are very important,” said Pappas.

Pappas said the CO levels were 80 parts per billion typically anything over 30 is considered dangerous, over 100 is extremely dangerous.

(C) WLNE-TV 2014
Powered by WorldNow

10 Orms Street Providence, R.I. 02904
401-453-8000

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WLNE.
All Rights Reserved.

For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.