Smoke detectors save a Westport family's life - ABC6 - Providence, RI and New Bedford, MA News, Weather

Smoke detectors save a Westport family's life

Posted: Updated:
By Alana Cerrone

acerrone@abc6.com

The Westport Fire Department is crediting smoke detectors in a home for saving a family's life.

Officials say a toddler was in his bed Thursday morning when a fire started right next to him. 

It originated in the toddler’s bedroom around 5:48 a.m. and when fire crews got to the home on Main Road, there was already heavy smoke coming from inside. Luckily, all occupants had escaped.

Smoke detectors alerted the family to the fire.

The fire was ruled accidental but officials don’t yet know how it started. 

© WLNE-TV 2014
Powered by WorldNow

10 Orms Street Providence, R.I. 02904
401-453-8000

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WLNE.
All Rights Reserved.

For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.