Authorities: Lowell fire due to electrical failure - ABC6 - Providence, RI and New Bedford, MA News, Weather

Authorities: Lowell fire due to electrical failure

Posted: Updated:

By The Associated Press

news@abc6.com 

LOWELL, Mass. (AP) _ Authorities say a Lowell apartment building fire that killed seven people last week was an accident caused by an electrical failure that began in a concealed space between two floors.

State Fire Marshal Stephen Coan said the pre-dawn fire Thursday burned undetected for a long period of time in the void space before a sudden rush of oxygen turned it into an inferno.

Coan said fireworks were in the building and detonated at some point, but did not play a role in starting the blaze.

The cause was announced Tuesday during a news conference at a fire station located just 100 yards from the scene of the fire.

Middlesex District Attorney Marian Ryan identified those who died as: Torn Sak, his longtime girlfriend, Ellen Vuong, and three of their five children, 38-year-old Tina Christakos and 72-year-old Robert Downs.

(C) The Associated Press 2014

Powered by WorldNow

10 Orms Street Providence, R.I. 02904
401-453-8000

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WLNE.
All Rights Reserved.

For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.