Steeves Scores Twice, PC Men's Soccer Blanks Bryant
Providence College Press Release
PROVIDENCE, R.I. – Red-shirt senior Mac Steeves (Needham, Mass.) tallied two goals and an assist for a three-point night in the Friars’ home-opener. Providence defeated Bryant University, 3-0, on Sept. 4 on Chapey Field at Anderson Stadium.
SCORE Providence - 3 | Bryant - 0
RECORDS Providence - 2-2-0 | Bryant - 0-4-0
VENUE Chapey Field at Anderson Stadium – Providence, R.I.
GAME FLOW & NOTES - Mac Steeves was dribbling through the box when a Bryant defender dragged him down. He took the ensuing penalty kick and converted for his first goal of the season with just under 10 minutes remaining in the first half.
- Steeves’ goal earned him sole possession of third place on the Friars’ all-time leaderboard.
- Bryant had its best chance of the half in the final minute. Junior Richard Murray came in on goal from the left, but Friar goalkeeper Colin Miller (Bel Air, Md.) was there to make the sliding challenge.
- Bryant goalkeeper Nick Stewart made seven first half saves.
- Providence increased its lead to 2-0 in the 62nd minute as Steeves slotted a ball across the middle for sophomore Braden Kline (Lancaster, Pa.). He finished with a one-timer to push the Friars’ lead to two.
- The Bulldogs best opportunity to get on the scoreboard in the second half came with 19:49 remaining. Senior Alexander Wrona took a free kick from 22 yards out, but Miller corralled it easily.
- Steeves iced the game with his second goal of the match with 8:51 remaining. He picked up a long ball courtesy of junior Klisman Sousa (Sal, Cape Verde) and took advantage of an over-aggressive Bulldogs’ goalkeeper, playing it into the empty net to increase the Friars’ lead to 3-0.
- With the two goals on Monday night, Steeves’ now has 29 for his career and is one short of tying Julian Gressel for second place all-time.
- Bryant was held without a corner until there was 17:47 remaining in the game.
- The shutout is Providence’s first of the season, and the ninth of Miller’s career.
- Providence now owns a 17-3 record over Bryant all-time.
HOW THEY SCORED 1-0 (PC) – 35:36 – Mac Steeves – Penalty kick
2-0 (PC) – 61:02 – Brendan Kline – Ball slotted across the middle from Steeves; one-time finish
3-0 (PC) – 81:10 – Steeves – Long ball, picked up by Steeves and played into an empty net
GOALKEEPERS Providence: Colin Miller, 2-0-0: 5 saves, 0 goals against Bryant: Nick Stewart, 0-4-0: 8 saves, 3 goals against
Bryant: Oliver Larente, 0-0-0: 0 saves, 0 goals against