Throughout the year, many taxpayers contribute money or gifts to qualified organizations eligible to receive tax-deductible charitable contributions. Taxpayers who plan to claim a charitable deduction on their tax return must do two things:

Have a bank record or written communication from a charity for any monetary contributions.

Get a written acknowledgment from the charity for any single donation of $250 or more.

Here are six things for taxpayers to remember about these donations and written acknowledgments:

Taxpayers who make single donations of $250 or more to a charity must have one of the following:

A separate acknowledgment from the organization for each donation of $250 or more.

One acknowledgment from the organization listing the amount and date of each contribution of $250 or more.

The $250 threshold doesn’t mean a taxpayer adds up separate contributions of less than $250 throughout the year.

For example, if someone gave a $25 offering to their church each week, they don’t need an acknowledgment from the church, even though their contributions for the year are more than $250.

Contributions made by payroll deduction are treated as separate contributions for each pay period.

If a taxpayer makes a payment that is partly for goods and services, their deductible contribution is the amount of the payment that is more than the value of those goods and services.

A taxpayer must get the acknowledgment on or before the earlier of these two dates:

The date they file their return for the year in which they make the contribution.

The due date, including extensions, for filing the return.

If the acknowledgment doesn't show the date of the contribution, the taxpayers must also have a bank record or receipt that does show the date.

More Information:

Publication 526, Charitable Contributions

Tax Topic 506, Charitable Contributions

Publication 1771, Charitable Contributions Substantiation and Disclosure Requirements

Remember that all of the web page addresses for the official IRS website,, begin with Don' t be confused or misled by Internet sites that end in .com, .net, .org or other designations instead of .gov. The address of the official IRS governmental Web site is