West Greenwich man arrested on firearm and drug charges
By News Staff
WEST GREENWICH, R.I. (WLNE) – A State Police Task Fore arrested a West Greenwich man Thursday on firearm and drug charges after finding cocaine, prescription medications, and over a dozen guns in his home.
State Police said Walter S. Garbecki, 33, of West Greenwich, was arrested Thursday after an investigation by a High Intensity Drug Trafficking Area (HIDTA) Task Force into the distribution of cocaine and prescription drugs.
A search of Garbecki’s Lake Drive home yielded 13 firearms, including a fully automatic AR-15 style rifle, an illegal sawed-off shotgun, and approximately 3,000 rounds of assorted ammunition. The firearms were seized by the task force.
The HIDTA task force also seized approximately 3 grams of cocaine, assorted illegal prescription medication, and distribution materials including cutting agents and scales.
Garbecki was faced with the following charges:
- Delivery/Possession with Intent to Deliver & Manufacture (Cocaine)
- Possession of Controlled Substance Schedule I, II, III (Oxycodone)
- Possession of Controlled Substance Schedule I, II, III (Hydrocodone)
- Possession of Controlled Substance Schedule I, II, III (Dextro- Amphetamine)
- Possession of Controlled Substance Schedule I, II, III, IV (Clonazepam)
- Possession of Controlled Substance Schedule I, II, III, IV (Diazepam)
- Two Counts (2) Sale and Possession of Silencers
- Possession Sawed-Off Shotgun
- License or Permit Required for Carrying Pistol (machine gun)
- Thirteen (13) Counts Possession of a Firearm while Committing a Controlled Substance Violation
Garbecki was arraigned at Third Division District Court where he was was ordered held without bail pending further court action.
©WLNE-TV / ABC6 2018