By: News Staff

Email: news@abc6.com

Twitter: @ABC6

WOONSOCKET, R.I. (WLNE) --  UPDATE: Police have released that the man electrocuted Friday while painting a house was Pawtucket Resident Alejandro Gonzalez, 64. Police have also released that Gonzales died at about 2:40 P.M. on Saturday at Rhode Island Hospital. 

---

A chaotic scene unfolded on Park Place in Woonsocket Friday afternoon, as officials said a private contractor painting a house hit a live wire and was electrocuted.

Investigators said the unidentified man was painting the home using a high-rise lift. Witnesses said the painter was about 20 feet in the air when he was shocked.

"I heard screaming like 'oh my God somebody call 911," said Andrew Wilkins, who saw the man moments after. "I rushed outside because I thought one of my siblings got hurt [and] I came running around the side of the house and I saw him collapsed in the cherry picker and then he caught fire."

Wilkins and other neighbors said the quiet neighborhood was quickly filled with the smell of burning flesh.

"I'll always remember it. You never forget something like this," Wilkins said. 

As on-lookers began to panic, Bob Seaman pulled up the block.

"I saw him still on fire. [His co-worker] brought him down," he said. " [A woman] gave me a thing of water and I just doused him."

Once the man was lowered, National Grid had to shut off the power in the area so medics could help him.

ABC 6 was able to speak briefly with the victim's boss off camera. He tells us the victim was a father and a good man.

© WLNE-TV / ABC6 2018.