Man hurt by exploding firework near Mansfield train station
By John Krinjak
Mansfield, Mass. (WLNE) -- It's a sound you just don't want to hear--especially near a train station.
"I was sitting there eating lunch on my front porch and I heard an explosion. Boom! Like what the heck was that?" said witness James Brophy.
Turns out it was a firework doing off in a man's hand in a commuter lot next to the Mansfield T stop.
"It's not known if it was found or if he possessed it, but clearly at one point when it detonated it was in his hand," said Deputy Chief Tim Pulio.
The man running toward the station for help. He got some from a parking officer who jumped into action right on the platform.
"Tied a tourniquet around the patient's arm, and the patient was bleeding pretty seriously," said Pulio.
"He was in disarray," said Brophy. "He said 'my God I'm going to die of burns.' It took his fingers off," said Brophy.
The 38-year-old was taken to Rhode Island Hospital, where he's being treated for non-life-threatening injuries. We're told he lost part of his hand as a result of the explosion.
"It was just 4th of July so you can think that someone was maybe overexcited and had fireworks," Kunal Joarder. "That is strange. That is strange."
Officials are using this incident as a chance to remind folks there's a reason fireworks are illegal in Massachusetts.
"I don't think people have an appreciation for an explosion that comes from a firework. Really leave it to the professionals. If you find an unattended firework, call the professionals in," said Pulio.