Bryant bounced by visiting Robert Morris
Bryant news release...
SMITHFIELD, R.I. – Junior Adam Grant (Franklin, Va.) scored a team-high 17 points and senior Taylor McHugh (Centreville, Va.)added a career high-tying 12, but the Bryant University men's basketball team was held off by Robert Morris, 79-65, Saturday at the Chace Athletic Center.
Grant scored Bryant's first nine points from beyond the arc and collected four steals in the contest. McHugh matched his career-high on 4-of-5 shooting and 3-of-4 from outside. The Bulldogs trimmed a 21-point deficit to nine with 2:57 to go before the Colonials held on for the victory.
Robert Morris 79, Bryant 65
Records: Bryant (5-11, 2-3 NEC), Robert Morris (9-9, 4-1 NEC)
Location: Chace Athletic Center (Smithfield, R.I.)
COACH GRASSO'S COMMENTS
"Our kids played hard in the second half. We put ourselves in a hole, and we have to learn to take the next step as a program. Robert Morris has been to NCAA tournaments. Andy [Toole]'s been very successful for a reason. Those kids are tough and physical, and we weren't ready early to compete against that physicality. Our guys responded in the second half when it was a little bit too late. For us, we're a work in progress, and we have to keep getting better."
- Bryant cut the deficit to 38-30 on a McHugh three-pointer, but Robert Morris responded with the next 11 points to push its advantage to 49-30.
- The Bulldogs used a 10-2 run to get back within nine with under three minutes to play, but the Colonials held off Bryant down the stretch.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Grant scored the first nine Bryant points on three-pointers to put the Bulldogs ahead 9-8 with 15:21 remaining in the first half.
- A 9-2 Robert Morris run put the Colonials up 32-20 with 3:08 to play in the half. Junior SaBastian Townes (Chesapeake, Va.)would answer with the next five, but RMU would score the next four to go into the locker room leading Bryant 36-25.
- A three-pointer from McHugh brought the Bulldogs within 38-30, but an 11-0 Robert Morris run prompted a Bryant timeout with 16:19 to play.
- Junior Juan Cardenas (Medellin, Colombia) hit a three-pointer with 5:33 to go to bring Bryant within 67-53 and a Bulldog timeout followed.
- The Bulldogs would cut the deficit to 69-60 on a three-point play from freshman Nino Hernmandez (Gardner, Mass.), but it was the closest Bryant would come, as Robert Morris scored 10 of the game's final 15 points for the 14-point margin.
- Grant scored 17 points with 12 of them coming from beyond the arc. The junior guard added four steals, one shy of his career high.
- McHugh scored 12 points with nine of them from outside. The senior guard played a season-high 35 minutes.
- Cardenas tallied nine points, five rebounds and three blocks.
- Freshman Patrick Harding (Fairfield, Conn.) grabbed a team-high seven rebounds and added eight points.
- Bryant shot 44.2 percent for the game, while Robert Morris was at 57.8 percent.
- The Bulldogs outrebounded the Colonials, 28-27.
- Grant passed Frankie Dobbs for seventh in Bryant's Division I era in steals with 94.
- Cardenas has recorded 24 blocks in his first 14 games in Black & Gold. The total is good for eighth in a single season in Bryant's D1 history.
- Harding has grabbed six or more rebounds in nine of 15 contests during his freshman year.
- Bryant falls to 4-15 all-time against Robert Morris.
Bryant continues a four-game homestand Monday at 5 p.m. when the Bulldogs host Saint Francis U.