11 years later, victims of the Station Nightclub fire remembered
By: Samantha Lavien
It has been 11 years since the deadly Station Nightclub fire in West Warwick Rhode Island.
100 people were killed and more than 200 injured in the fire that ignited when pyrotechnics ignited foam used for sound proofing on the club's ceiling.
It was the fourth deadliest nightclub fire in U.S. history.
On Thursday for the anniversary, many came to the Cowesett Avenue site to reflect and pay their respects.
“My son died here 11 years ago and he died with my daughter's fiancé, his best friend and his girlfriend,” said Chris Fontaine.
“I come down here every year just to play a little bit and hope people will never forget the terrible tragedy that should have never happened,” said Steven Sweet who lost his cousin in the fire.
Whether placing flowers or just coming to reflect, the memory of that day is still fresh in many peoples minds.
“I know a few people that died in the fire and every year I come back here,” said Donald Mariani of West Warwick.
“My life changed forever 11 years ago, my life and so many others and it is crazy to think it has been 11 years,” said Gina Russo.
Russo is a survivor she lost her boyfriend in the fire and on this 11 year anniversary, she says she remembers almost every detail.
“It is very clear very clear every step of trying to get out of that building. I have a major time gap from who pulled me out of the building until I woke up from the coma,” said Russo.
The hope is to begin construction on a permanent memorial this Spring.
Those close to the project tell ABC 6 News it could be completed as soon as six to eight months after work begins.
The fundraising goal for that memorial has struggled through the years. To date nearly $200,000 of the estimated $2 million needed has been raised.
Last week the foundation for the memorial hired Dan Berry, the owner of a Narraganset-based fundraising company, to see how much the foundation can raise, and how long it will take.
(C) WLNE-TV 2014