#14 PC Men’s Hockey in the Midst of a Six Game Road Swing
The 11th-ranked Providence College men’s hockey team skated to a 3-3 tie against Army West Point on Sunday (Jan. 8) at Tate Rink.
No. 11 Providence (11-5-6, 6-2-5 HEA) | Army West Point (6-11-3, 5-6-1 AHC)
No. 11 Providence – 3 | Army West Point – 3
Tate Rink – West Point, N.Y.
Philip Svedebäck (PC) – 18 saves, 3 goals against
Gavin Abric (ARMY) – 35 saves, 3 goals against
– The Friars broke the ice at the 12:44 mark of the first period after fast paced opening half of the first period. Jamie Engelbert netted his third goal of the season after Cam McDonald found him open in the slot.
– Providence outshot the Black Knights 13-3 during the middle frame, but it was Army who scored the lone goal to bring the game even on a power-play strike by Joey Baez at 13:43.
– Parker Ford put the Friars ahead at 6:35 of the third period with his eighth goal of the season after re-directing Brett Berard’s centering pass into the back of the net. Bennett Schimek earned the secondary assist.
– Army’s Ricky Lyle tied the game at 2-2 at the 10:22 mark.
– Patrick Moynihan’s one-timer on the power play regained the lead for the Friars at 3-2 with 7:05 remaining in regulation. It was Moynihan’s sixth goal of the season with assists to Crozier and Ford.
– The Black Knights tied it up during a 6-on-4 advantage as Baez cleaned up a loose puck in a scrum with 1:20 remaining.
– Both teams had two shots each during the overtime period.
– Providence played its ninth overtime game of the season.
PC GAME HIGHS
Goals: Engelbert, Ford, Moynihan (1)
Assists: Brett Berard, Crozier, Ford, McDonald, B. Schimek
Points: Ford (2)
Shots: Ford (6)
Providence – 1/4
Army West Point – 2/5
Providence – 38
Army West Point – 21
The Friars continue their six-game road trip next weekend with a pair of games at Merrimack beginning Friday night (Jan. 13) at Lawler Rink.