#14 Providence Rallies From Down 3-0 Behind Parker Ford’s Hat Trick to Beat Dartmouth
Parker Ford registered his first-career hat trick and added an assist as the No. 14 Providence College men’s hockey team rallied from a 3-0 deficit to defeat Dartmouth, 7-4, on Friday afternoon (Nov. 26) at Schneider Arena.
No. 14 Providence – 7 | Dartmouth – 4
Providence – 11-5-0, 6-3-0 HEA | Dartmouth – 2-5-0, 2-3-0 ECAC
Schneider Arena – Providence, R.I.
Jaxson Stauber (PC) – 22 saves
Justin Ferguson (DART) – 35 saves
– Dartmouth raced out to a 3-0 lead in the opening 14:19 of action on goals from Mark Gallant, Erik Urbank and Steven Townley. It was the second time in three games the Friars trailed 3-0 after the first period.
– Brett Berard started the comeback with his team-high ninth goal of the season just 1:37 into the second period after one-timing a feed from Jamie Engelbert past Ferguson.
– Ford brought the Friars within one at 13:39 after Berard hit him in stride for a clean breakaway and he beat Ferguson to the blocker side.
– Freshman Guillaume Richard’s second tally of the season tied the game at 3-3 1:40 later.
– Ford’s second of the game gave Providence its first lead at 4-3 with 10:14 to play in regulation. Patrick Moynihan knocked down a clearing attempt in front of the Dartmouth net and Ford wired a shot over the blocker of Ferguson.
– Nick Poisson’s fourth of the season gave the Friars insurance on the power play at 11:44 as Moynihan’s shot off a rebound deflected in off his body.
– Dartmouth fought back and got within one at 18:20 as Nick Unruh scored with the extra attacker.
– Ford completed his hat trick into an empty net 24 seconds later and Kohen Olischefski added another empty net goal at 19:09 to complete the scoring. Ford now has four goals and two assists over the last two games and has tied Berard for the team lead in goals with nine.
– The Friars are 8-of-13 on the power play over the last three games.
– With the win, the Friars improved their winning streak to five games and have now rallied from three goals down to win in regulation three times this season (Oct. 22 vs. Denver and Nov. 19 at Vermont).
– Providence improved to 7-1-0 on home ice this season and are averaging 5.0 goals per game at Schneider Arena this season.
– Jaxson Stauber earned his second assist of the season on Olischefski’s goal late in the third period.
– Berard recorded his first-career three-point outing and his fourth multi-point effort of the season.
PC GAME HIGHS
Goals: Ford (3)
Assists: Berard, Engelbert, Moynihan (2)
Points: Ford (4)
Shots: Ford (8)
Providence – 1/1
Dartmouth – 0/1
Providence – 42
Dartmouth – 26
The Friars will travel to Brown on Saturday (Nov. 27) for the 35th Mayor’s Cup against the Bears.
For more updates on the Providence College men’s hockey program, follow the team on Twitter @FriarsHockey.