#14 Providence Wins Fifth Straight Mayor’s Cup Game
Graduate transfer Austin Cain made 24 saves for his first career shutout in his first start as a Friar and four different players scored as the No. 14 Providence College men’s hockey team blanked Brown University, 4-0, in the 35th Annual Mayor’s Cup on Saturday, Nov. 27.
No. 14 Providence – 4 | Brown University – 0
Providence – 12-5-0, 6-3-0 HEA | Brown University – 1-7-0, 1-5-0 ECAC
Meehan Auditorium – Providence, R.I.
Austin Cain (PC)– 24 saves
Luke Kania (Brown) – 42 saves
– Brett Berard struck first for the Friars, 1-0, with a goal at 6:17. Berard collected Guillaume Richard’s shot behind the net and tucked it into far post for his tenth goal of the season, a team-high.
– Providence entered the first intermission with a 1-0 lead. The Friars held a 16-6 advantage in shots over the Brown Bears through the opening twenty.
– The Friars gained a two-goal cushion just 1:27 into period two with a goal from Nick Poisson. Berard cycled the puck down behind the Bears’ net and Kohen Olischefski found Poisson in front of the net for his fifth goal of the season.
– Patrick Moynihan cashed in on the power play, 3-0, at 4:22 of the second period. Poisson rocketed a shot off of Berard’s skate and kicked it right to Moynihan for the junior’s sixth of the season and fourth goal in the last four games.
– Riley Duran kept the scoring going for the Friars in the third period, extending Providence’s lead to 4-0 with a goal at 8:03. Davis Bunz and Kohen Olischefski earned the assists on the play.
– Austin Cain finished the night with 24 saves. Tonight’s performance served as both Cain’s first career shutout and first start as a Friar.
– The Friars are 9-of-15 on the power play over the last four games.
– With the win, the Friars improved their winning streak to six games, their longest winning streak since winning eight-consecutive games during the 2016-17 season.
– Providence earned a shutout in the Mayor’s Cup for the third time in the last six games against the Bears.
– Berard has recorded back-to-back three-point games after a goal and two assists on Saturday. Berard (21 pts.) and Nick Poisson (20 pts.) now rank first and second in Hockey East in scoring, respectively.
– Kohen Olischefski has posted a goal and three assists over the last two games.
– Providence is now tied for the most wins in the NCAA this season (12).
PC GAME HIGHS
Goals: Four players (1)
Assists: Berard, Olischefski (2)
Points: Berard (3)
Shots: Moynihan (6)
Providence – 1/2
Brown University – 0/4
Providence – 46
Brown University – 24
The Friars are back in action next weekend for a home-and-home series against the Northeastern Huskies. Providence will host Friday, Dec. 3 before traveling to Boston, Mass. for the series finale on Saturday, Dec. 4. Both puck drops are set for 7 p.m.
For more updates on the Providence College men’s hockey program, follow the team on Twitter @FriarsHockey.