#15 PC Men’s Hockey Takes Exhibition With Western Ontario
Riley Duran (Woburn, Mass.) and Cody Monds (Brockville, Ont.) each recorded two points at the Providence College men’s hockey team opened the 2022-23 season with a 5-2 exhibition win over the University of Western Ontario on Saturday (Oct. 1) at Schneider Arena.
Providence – 5 | Western Ontario – 2
Schneider Arena – Providence, R.I.
Austin Roden (PC) – 29 saves
Dylan Myskiw (UWO) – 49 saves
– The teams skated through the opening 20 minutes scoreless as the Friars controlled the play with an 18-7 shot advantage.
– Western Ontario opened the scoring on a goal from Sean Montgomery during an odd-man rush.
– Uula Ruikka tied the game for the Friars at 5:01 of the second period off a one-timer from a Cody Monds pass.
– Duran gave Providence a 2-1 lead just over five minutes later after tic-tac-toe passing from Austen May and Monds, who fed Duran for a tap-in at the near post.
– Cam McDonald extended the lead to 3-1 with a wrister from the point through traffic. Jaroslav Chmelar and Chase Yoder earned the assists.
– Montgomery and the Mustangs trimmed the lead to 3-2 late in the second period.
– At 7:13 of the third period. Michael Citara finished off a backhand shot off a faceoff win from Craig Needham to make it a 4-2 game.
– Parker Ford capped the scoring with a shorthanded, empty-net goal at 19:17.
– Providence outshot the Mustangs by a 54-31 advantage.
– Ford and Brett Berard had a game-high seven shots on goal each.
PC GAME HIGHS
Goals: Ruikka, Duran, McDonald, Citara, Ford (1)
Assists: Monds (2)
Points: Duran, Monds (2)
Shots: Brett Berard, Ford (7)
Providence – 1/5
Western Ontario – 1/3
Providence – 54
Western Ontario – 31