#16 PC Men’s Soccer Drops Season Opener To Colgate
Providence College Press Release
PROVIDENCE, R.I. – The No. 16 Providence College men’s soccer team fell to Colgate, 3-2, in their season opener at Chapey Field at Anderson Stadium on Thursday Aug. 25.#16 Providence 2 | Colgate 3 RECORDS #16 Providence (0-1) Colgate (1-0) VENUE Chapey Field at Anderson Stadium | Providence, R.I. GAME FLOW & NOTES – Nick Benjamin (Stonington, Conn.)scored his first goal in a Friar uniform in the 20th minute of the game from a header inside the box. Armaan Wilson (Kleinburg, Ontario) earned the assist with a pass off a free kick.
– The Raiders tied up the game (1-1) with a goal by Max Edelstein in the 32nd minute.
– Providence possessed the ball in the attacking side of the field for a majority of the first half.
– Thomas Tulgar (Bergenfield, N.J.) notched the second goal for the Friars in the 66th minute off a cross pass from Brian Lopez (Hialeah, Fla.), who earned his first assist as a Friar. He was able to redirect the cross off after a pass from Luis Garcia (Gran Canaria, Spain).
– Colgate then tied the Friars again (2-2) with a goal from Timmy Donovan in the 75th minute.
– An own goal by the Friars gave Colgate the 3-2 advantage in the 80th minute.
– The Friars outshot the Raiders 10-4. They also had a 6-1 edge in corner kicks.
– The Friars were kept from scoring the equalizer despite the 6-2 shot advantage in the second half.
HOW THEY SCORED (1-0) – Providence – 19:57/1st – Nick Benjamin scored the ball off a header from a free kick from Armaan Wilson. (1-1) – Colgate – 31:59/1st – Max Edelstein headed the ball off the crossbar into the net off of a cross pass from Jacob Blackwin who got the ball from Adam Fam. (2-1) – Providence – 65:13/2nd – Thomas Tulgar hit the back of the net off of a cross pass from Brian Lopez, who received the ball from Luis Garcia.
(2-2) – Colgate – 74:17/2nd – Timmy Donovan scored on a deep strike from 45 yards out assisted by Alejandro Coury.
(3-2) – Colgate – 79:05/2nd – Own goal.GOALKEEPERS Colgate – Andrew Cooke, 1 save, 2 goals against
Providence – Lukas Burns (Cinnaminson, N.J.), 1 save, 3 goals againstSTAT COMPARISON Colgate Shots: 4 Shots on goal: 3 Corner kicks: 1 Fouls: 12 Saves: 1 Providence Shots: 10 Shots on goal: 3 Corner kicks: 6 Fouls: 9 Saves: 1 WHAT’S NEXT
The Friars will travel to Fordham University to face the Rams in the Bronx, N.Y. on Sunday, Aug. 28 at 3:00 p.m. Providence will then return home to face Siena College on Friday, Sept. 2 at 7:00 p.m. at Chapey Field at Anderson Stadium.