#19 Friars Recognize Seniors, Lose to USA Development Team in Exhibition
The Providence College men’s hockey team rallied from a 4-1 deficit but the U.S. National Team Development Program U18s earned a 5-4 win on Friday night at Schneider Arena.
No. 19 Providence – 4 | U.S. Under-18 National Team – 5
Schneider Arena – Providence, R.I.
Jaxson Stauber (PC) – 10 saves
Austin Cain (PC) – 4 saves
Tyler Muszelik (USA) – 32 saves
– Ryan Chesley scored the opening goal for the U.S. NTDP, 1-0, just 3:55 into play.
– Captain Michael Callahan evened it up, 1-1, on the power play with 2:41 remaining in the first period after the U.S. was called for an interference.
– Frank Nazar III put the U.S. in the lead, 2-1, heading into the first intermission with just 10 seconds remaining in the opening period.
– U.S. NTDP’s Lane Hutson scored next, 3-1, at the 12:38 mark of the second on the power play. The man-up opportunity came after Berard was whistled for a cross-check at 11:56.
– Graduate student Austin Cain replaced Jaxson Stauber in net at 14:13.
– Isaac Howard improved the U.S.’s lead, 4-1, at 14:43.
– Providence skated with an extra-man after the U.S. received a minor from slashing and major for face masking. Nick Poisson was able to capitalize on the power play, 4-2, just five seconds later at 16:46. Poisson was assisted by Callahan and Patrick Moynihan on the play.
– Parker Ford struck for the Friars, 4-3, 6:11 into the third period, assisted by Berard.
– Craig Needham knotted the game at 4-4, at 11:05. Needham was assisted by Riley Duran and Cody Monds on the equalizer.
– The U.S. found the lead at 12:39 with a goal from Marek Hejduk. The Friars were unable to find the back of the net after several close calls and fell to the U.S. NTDP, 5-4.
– Future Friar Brady Berard earned an assist on the game-winning goal for the U.S.
PC GAME HIGHS
Goals: Poisson, Needham, Ford, Callahan (1)
Assists: Berard (2)
Points: Poisson, Berard, Callahan (2)
Shots: Berard (5)
Providence – 2/6
U.S. Under-18 National Team – 1/2
Providence – 36
U.S. Under-18 National Team – 19
The Friars will host an opening round Hockey East playoff game on Wednesday (March 9) against an opponent to be determined.