A year later, police arrest 2 men in Miya Brophy Baermann’s killing

Mugshot of Isaiah Pinkerton (L) and Shawn Mann (R)

PROVIDENCE, R.I. (WLNE) — Two men have been arrested in the killing of 24-year-old Miya Brophy Baermann a year later.

Providence police said Friday that 31-yar-old Shawn Mann and 25-year-old Isaiah Pinkerton were charged in what they called a random drive-by-shooting on Olney Street on Aug. 1, 2021.

Rhode Island Attorney General Peter Neronha said the 24-year-old was shot with a Polymer80 ghost gun.

Neronha said that a grand jury indicted both men Wednesday.

Mann was charged with the following:

  • One count of murder
  • One count of conspiracy to commit murder
  • One count of discharge of a firearm during the commission of a crime of violence, resulting in death
  • One count of committing a drive-by shooting; one count of conspiracy to commit a drive-by shooting
  • One count of possession of a ghost gun; two counts of conspiracy to possess a ghost gun
  • Two counts of carrying a pistol without a license; two counts of conspiracy to carry a pistol without a license
  • One count of assault with intent to commit murder
  • One count of discharge of a firearm during the commission of a crime of violence

Pinkerton was charged with:

  • One count of murder
  • One count of conspiracy to commit murder
  • One count of discharge of a firearm during the commission of a crime of violence, resulting in death
  • One count of committing a drive-by shooting
  • One count of conspiracy to commit a drive-by shooting
  • Two counts of possession of a ghost gun
  • Two counts of conspiracy to possess a ghost gun
  • Two counts of carrying a pistol without a license
  • Two counts of conspiracy to carry a pistol without a license
  • Two counts of possession of a firearm by a prohibited person
  • One count of assault with intent to commit murder
  • One count of discharge of a firearm during the commission of a crime of violence

Friday, both men faced a Providence Superior Court judge and pled not guilty. They’re being held without bail at the Adult Correctional Institution.

“For over a year, this office and the Providence Police Department have sought justice for Miya and her family, and with today’s indictment, we are one step closer towards achieving that goal,” said Neronha said in a release.

Earlier this month, Maj. David Lapatin told ABC 6 News, “We haven’t put this case down. We’re working hard.”

Police believe that the shooter thought Brophy Baermann was someone else when they fired the gun.

Categories: News, Providence, Rhode Island