2 Woonsocket EMTs lose license after premature baby’s death

Rhode Island Department of Health. (WLNE)

WOONSOCKET, R.I. (WLNE) — The Rhode Island Department of Health said Thursday that two Woonsocket EMT workers had their cardiac license suspended after how they handled an infants death.

The Department of Health said Shawn Hoyle and Jarrod Martin both failed to comply with EMS protocols on Aug. 1.

According to a report obtained by ABC 6 News, the two workers responded to a house call just before 12:30 p.m.. and arrived 5 minutes later.

When they arrived, they found the mother in the bathroom, who just gave birth to a premature baby in a toilet. The workers clamped the umbilical cord and moved the mother to the living room. They left the baby in the toilet, read the report.

When the responders returned to the bathroom, the baby did not have a pulse and was not moving. Responders tried tapping the baby’s foot.

Responders then wrapped the baby in a towel and put it in biohazard bag. The baby and mother were both taken to the hospital.

When a physician asked bout the baby, the responders brought the mother to the ambulance to get the baby.

However, the baby was brought to the emergency department, it was showing a pulse. Staff tried to resuscitate the child but it did not work. The child was pronounced dead by the physician.

The workers can appeal the suspension.

Categories: News