7-year-old Cranston boy admitted to hospital with rare condition associated with COVID-19

CRANSTON, R.I. (WLNE): A mother from Cranston is trying to raise awareness after her 7-year-old son was admitted to the hospital with a rare condition associated with COVID-19.

Stephanie Vito and her family all tested positive for COVID-19 the week of Christmas. Her children were all asymptomatic, including her 7-year-old son.

“Fast forward 5 weeks later to last Sunday and he felt like he was going to throw up,” Vito said.

Her son, Joey, had a high fever, prompting Vito to take him to Hasbro Children’s Hospital. Vito said they told her to monitor Joey’s temperature for the next 48 hours. If he broke out in a rash or his temperature didn’t break, they should come back.

“At one point it was 103.7° and I’ve never seen a temperature that high in any of my kids,” Vito said.

Vito knew something was seriously wrong when she noticed a rash all over her son’s body.

“He went and took off his shirt and he had a rash all over him,” Vito said. “It was on his neck, his arm, his belly, his legs.”

Fast forward 24 hours, and Vito was back at the hospital. This time, Joey was admitted to Hasbro, knowing it was most likely Multisystem Inflammatory Syndrome In Children, known as MIS-C.

Dr. Laura Forman, Chief of Emergency Medicine at Kent Hospital, said this rare condition that can be deadly, usually shows up in children weeks after being exposed to COVID-19.

“It’s really dangerous because it involves inflammation in multiple organ systems and there isn’t a cure for it,” Forman said.

The Centers for Disease Control has been tracking reports of MIS-C since May 2020. There have been a total of 2,060 total cases and 30 deaths meeting the case definition.

The Rhode Island Department of Health told ABC6 News that the state has had 16 cases of MIS-C.

According to the CDC, children may have a fever and various symptoms including abdominal pain, neck pain, and rash. Symptoms are similar to Kawasaki Disease. 

Joey was released from Hasbro after four days and he has been fever-free for 72 hours.

Vito now wants to use this as an opportunity to spread awareness to other parents.

“There are many kids who are asymptomatic and it scares me to think this could be happening to other children and the parents don’t know and their child had COVID-19,” Vito said.

It’s a long road to recovery for Joey. He’s on steroids and aspirin. He will then follow up with a cardiologist in 2 weeks, and again in 6 weeks, to make sure there is still no fluid in his heart.

Categories: News