#8 UMass Sweeps #10 Providence
John Leonard recorded a hat trick to propel No. 8 UMass to a 5-1 victory over the No. 10 Providence College men’s hockey team on Saturday night at Schneider Arena.
Providence – 1 | UMass – 5
No. 10 Providence – 14-9-5 (8-8-2 HEAM) | No. 8 UMass – 18-9-2 (11-6-2 HEAM)
Schneider Arena – Providence, R.I.
Michael Lackey (PC) – 15 saves
Matt Murray (UM) – 21 saves
– The Minutemen recorded the opening goal 13:11 into the first period to take a 1-0 lead. John Leonard split two defenders before putting his wrist shot over Michael Lackey’s (Washington, D.C.) left shoulder.
– Providence outshot UMass, 9-6, through the opening twenty minutes. The Friars failed to convert on three power play chances while the Minutemen saw two power play opportunities in the period.
– UMass notched two goals in the middle frame to take a 3-0 lead into the second intermission. John Leonard scored his second goal of the game, short-handed, 14:53 into the second period.
– Oliver Chau scored the Minutemen’s third goal with 1:23 remaining in the second period. Colin Felix earned his third assist of the game on the goal while goalkeeper Matt Murry picked up the secondary assist.
– Providence converted on its fifth power play opportunity of the night, 8:49 into the third period. Jack Dugan (Rochester, N.Y.) dished the puck to Thompson in the center of the left circle who finished a wrist shot to the near side before the goaltender could slide over. The goal marked Thompson’s team-high 18th goal of the season, Dugan earned his NCAA leading 37th assist.
– John Leonard scored his third goal of the game with 5:27 remaining to hand UMass a 4-1 lead. UMass added a power play goal just a minute and a half later to build a 5-1 cushion.
– Providence falls to 14-9-5 on the season with an 8-8-2 conference mark.
HOW THEY SCORED
1-0 (UM) – 13:11/1st – EV – John Leonard (Jones, Felix) – Split two defenders at the blue line before putting a wrist shot to the top right of the cage
2-0 (UM) – 14:53/2nd – SH – John Leonard (Felix) – Wrist shot from inside edge of the left circle
3-0 (UM) – 18:37/2nd – EV – Oliver Chau (Felix, Murray) – Chau slid the puck in front of the crease from behind the net off a defender’s skate and in
3-1 (PC) – 8:49/3rd – PP – Tyce Thompson (Dugan, Callahan) – Wrist shot from the center of the left circle
4-1 (UM) – 14:33/3rd – EV – John Leonard (Jones, Farmer) – Wrist shot from the bottom of the right circle over Lackey’s right shoulder
5-1 (UM) – 16:03/3rd – PP – Jack Suter (Leonard, Jones) – Tap-in on the far post after a feed from Leonard at the point
PC GAME HIGHS
Goals: Thompson (1)
Assists: Dugan, Callahan (1)
Points: Dugan, Callahan, Thompson (1)
Shots: Thompson (5)
Providence – 1/6
UMass – 1/4
Providence – 22
UMass – 20
The Friars will travel to Burlington, Vt. for a pair of games against the Catamounts on Friday, Feb. 14 and Saturday, Feb. 15. Puck drops are scheduled for 7:05 p.m. in both contests.