Attorney General Neronha files objections to proposed state-wide health insurance increases
PROVIDENCE, R.I. (WLNE) – State Attorney General Peter Neronha announced Monday he filed objections to proposed health insurance rate increases with the Office of the Health Insurance Commissioner.
According to the Attorney General’s Office, multiple health insurance providers have filed for rate increases for those who buy health insurance on the individual market, and are subscribers to small and large group plans offered by businesses in Rhode Island.
Attorney General Neronha’s office said Blue Cross Blue Shield of Rhode Island had requested a 3.1 percent increase in the individual market, and Neighborhood Health Plan of Rhode Island requested an 8.5 percent increase to plan rates.
“Like last year, this Office is again objecting to proposed health insurance rate increases that we believe are not justified and will ultimately drive up the cost of healthcare for Rhode Islanders,” said Attorney General Neronha. “Year after year, Rhode Islanders face rising health insurance costs. Given the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic over the past year, and in light of our analysis of the current financial strength of the involved health insurers, higher rates are not warranted, nor affordable for over 42,000 Rhode Islanders who purchase insurance on the individual market, and nearly 140,000 subscribers of small and large employer group plans.”
Those health insurance companies, as well as United Health Care, Tufts Health Plan and Cigna, received what the Attorney General’s Office called substantial increases last year.
The Office of the Health Insurance Commissioner is expected to release a decision at the end of the month.