Autiello drops out of race for Congress
PROVIDENCE, R.I. (WLNE) — Nick Autiello announced Wednesday that he is no longer running for the 1st Congressional District seat.
The former Gov. Gina Raimondo staffer said he suspended his campaign due to a lack of financial resources.
“Since launching this campaign at the end of March, my team and I knocked on thousands of doors, discussed dozens of critical issues facing our country with voters across the district, raised a significant amount of money, qualified for the ballot, and, I believe, shared a compelling vision for our country’s future and our place in the world,” Autiello said.
“I got into this race to make life better for Rhode Islanders. That is a mission I remain committed to today and in the future, but staying in this race would only further confuse voters in an unprecedentedly crowded field, and I cannot do that in good conscience,” he added.
The Democrat was running for a chance to fill David Cicilline’s seat after he resigned earlier this year.
Autiello said he is now calling on the remaining candidates to commit to tackling crucial issues impacting the state like economic inequality and climate change.