Block Island continues work on permitting process on large events
NEW SHOREHAM, R.I. (WLNE)– The New Shoreham Town Council Monday said a permit process for large-scale gatherings on the island can expected at the beginning of 2023.
After violence and misconduct on the island this summer, the council hopes this will provide more oversight to avoid overcrowding.
“If the council isn’t doing them in the first place, we don’t really have that leverage to say when you can do them and when you can’t,” said Councilor Martha Ball.
The council will consider all large-scale events such as weddings, concerts, and competitions.
“In some cases, the collateral damage is anything but beneficial to neighbors of people who have these events,” said Councilor Mark Emmanuelle. “We have to look at all of these things individually to see if that’s a good idea, or we have to put a limit on these.”
Last week, the Coastal Resources Management Council ordered Ballard’s to remove outdoor tiki bars and illegal fencing.
Ballard’s will have until Nov. 9 to remove the bars, a stage, canopies, and pergola, according to a letter sent to owner Steven Filippi.