Block Island officials remain tight-lipped on investigation into alleged sexual assault
NEW SHOREHAM, R.I. (WLNE) — Block Island town leaders did not add further details about an alleged sexual assault that happened on the island on July 4.
First Warden Andre Boudreau said they had no new information on the police investigation.
Prior to moving to the next agenda item, Councilor Keith Stover raised concerns about “out of control” behavior at Ballard’s Resort and requested scheduling a show-cause hearing.
“I was actually going to ask that we schedule a show cause hearing for Ballard’s. We all heard how out of control that place has been. I think we have a responsibility to at least have calendar a public meeting how out of control it is,” said Stover. “From what we heard from rescue and others, I think we need to at least have on our schedule an opportunity to take action.”
Boudreau responded they would not elaborate on the situation Monday night due to the ongoing police investigation.
“We don’t have facts, I think it is premature to even discuss what you are discussing right now. We have no facts, we have nothing before us, this is really none of our business right now until the police are fully done with their investigation,” said Boudreau.
When Boudreau remarked “this is really none of our business” Stover chimed in by saying, “It is very much our business.”
Before the conversation could go on, Boudreau moved to the next agenda item without any action taken on the police investigation.
Interim Police Chief Peter Chabot did not speak at Monday’s meeting but said last week they had “a couple” of open investigations that he did not want to publicize.
The following day, a spokesperson for Rhode Island State Police confirmed that the agency and New Shoreham police were investigating an alleged sexual assault.
A spokesman for Ballard’s said they do not have comment at this time.