Brown Back in Win Column After Beating Dartmouth

Trailing by six with three minutes remaining, the Brown men’s basketball team finished the game on an 11-3 run to claim the 62-60 victory over Dartmouth Saturday night at the Pizzitola Sports Center.

The run began with a three by Kino Lilly Jr. to cut the deficit to three, followed by a pair of free throws by Paxson Wojcik to make it a one-point game with 1:46 on the clock. The two sides then traded 1-for-2 trips to the charity stripe before Tamenang Choh hit both of his free throws to give the Bears a 59-58 lead.

The biggest defensive possession of the game for the Bears followed, with Kimo Ferrari, David Mitchell, and Paxson Wojcik playing lockdown perimeter defense to force the Big Green into a desperation three that fell well short of the rim and bounced out of bounds with just 20 seconds to play.

Choh then hit two more free throws to take a three-point lead at 61-59. After a free throw by each side, a long pass to Noah Meren drained the final few seconds off the clock as the Bears escaped with the victory.

“We needed to find a way to come through and win that game,” head coach Mike Martin said. “I’m really pleased and happy for our players. I thought we had a stretch where our defense wasn’t great and they [Dartmouth] went on their run, but when we needed to get big stops down the stretch we did.

“We found a way to make winning plays in big moments. Our players work really hard, but we’ve been on the wrong end of a lot of these this year so I’m really happy we found a way to win this one.”

It was a balanced offensive effort on the night for the Bears with four players in double figures, but none scoring more than 14. Lilly led the way with 14, while Jaylan Gainey had 12, Wojcik 11, and Choh 10. Gainey posted his second double-double of the weekend, matching his career-high 13 rebounds that he set the night before against Harvard. Choh had a game-high six assists.

Brown led by as much as nine in the first half, but eventually settled into a five-point halftime lead.

A Lilly three at 15:14 in the second gave Brown it’s largest lead of the game of 14 at 42-28, but over the next 10 and a half minutes Dartmouth outscored the Bears 27-7 to take a six-point lead with 4:52 remaining. After a bucket by each side, the Lilly three with three minutes left kicked off the late-game run that earned the Bears the victory.

Brown travels to Cornell next Saturday, Feb. 12 for a 2 p.m. tip.


Categories: Sports