Brown Bears Finish With Tie Against Quinnipiac In OT

Robertson Lifts Bears to 3-3 Tie with Quinnipiac


PROVIDENCE, RI – Freshman Dennis Robertson (Fort St. John, BC) salvaged a 3-3 tie with visiting Quinnipiac (4-2-1, 0-0-1) when he scored the game-tying goal with 2:51 left in regulation on a Bears' power play on Friday evening at Meehan Auditorium. Trailing, 3-1, at the start of the third, junior Jeff Buvinow (Turnersville, NJ) started the come-back for the Brown hockey team (1-1-1, 0-0-1) with a power play marker 7:28 into the period.

            Both teams had good chances in a scoreless first period with each team earning one power play opportunity and Quinnipiac holding a 14-9 advantage in shots during the frame.

            The Bears nearly took a 1-0 lead with just 50 seconds left in the period, but the goal was waved off by the officials after it was ruled to have been batted in on a high-stick by Robertson. The goal was actually scored by senior Jesse Fratkin (Burnaby, BC), who sent a high shot in from the left point. The puck bounced over Quinnipiac goalie Dan Clarke, hitting the ice and trickling over the goal line. Robertson was crashing the net and attempted to bat the puck in, which is what led to the high-sticking call and the goal being waved off.

            The Bears came out buzzing at the start of the second period, firing off four consecutive shots – by Fratkin, senior Harry Zolnierczyk (Toronto, ONT), junior Bobby Farnham (North Andover, MA), and freshman Matt Wahl (Wellington, FL) – in the first 30 seconds, all of which were denied by Clarke.

            Brown would build a 9-2 advantage in shots during the opening four minutes of the frame and finally break through for the game's first goal at the 3:59 mark.

            After missing the Bears' first two games due to injury, senior David Brownschidle (Lawrenceville, NJ) scored his first of the year after back-to-back shots by freshman Garnet Hathaway (Kinnepunkport, ME) and Brownschidle were turned aside. Freshman Mark Hourihan (Lynnfield, MA) also earned an assist, as both Hathaway and Hourihan earned the first points of their careers.

            The Bears nearly doubled up Quinnipiac in shots for the period, outshooting their visitors, 19-10, but it was all Quinnipiac during the remainder of the frame on the scoreboard, as the Bobcats would score three straight. 

            Quinnipiac tied the game at 1-1 on somewhat of a controversial goal at 11:58 of the second. Just nine seconds after a Bobcats' power play had expired, Clay Harvey, deflected the puck into the net. Junior Mike Clemente (Great Falls, VA) had the puck covered and the whistle blew prior to the red light coming on. After a conference between the referee and the goal judge, it was ruled a goal.

            The Bobcats then went ahead, 2-1, at the 13:54 mark when Harvey scored just four seconds into Quinnipiac's third power play of the night off a face-off win by Yuri Bouharevich.

            Mike Dalhuisen extended Quinnipiac's lead to 3-1 with just 1:43 left in the period when he collected the puck at the right point on a face-off win by Brooks Robinson and beat Clemente near post for his first goal of the year.

            Junior Jeff Buvinow (Turnersville, NJ) connected on a power play 7:28 into the third period to bring Brown to within one goal. Junior Jack Maclellan (Calgary, ALB) started the play went he sent the puck down to the left corner for sophomore Chris Zaires (Aberdeen, NJ). Zaires centered it for Zolnierczyk in front and the Bears' captain tipped it back to Buvinow at the right circle. Buvinow skated onto the puck and lifted it into the partially open net for his second goal of the year.

            Brown earned three more power play chances in the period, including one with 4:13 remaining. Robertson, who had two power play goals last Friday at Yale, tied the score with his third power play marker of the season. Buvinow actually started the play, diving to swat the puck back behind the net on an attempted clear by Quinnipiac. Zaires picked the puck up and set it around to Maclellan, who pushed the puck up top to Robertson, who one-timed the puck past Clarke.

            The Bobcats would go up on the man advantage with 1:24 remaining, but Brown held on to kill the penalty and head to overtime.

            The two teams had chances to win in the extra five minutes, but both Clemente (4 saves) and Clarke (1 save) stopped every shot they faced, as the game ended in a tie. Clemente had the save of the extra frame, denying Scott Zurevinski on a one-on-one chance with just 19 seconds left. 

Clemente finished with 29 saves, while Clarke made 34 saves for the Bobcats. Brown returns to action when it faces Princeton for the second time in seven days. It is the final home game for the Bears during the month of November with faceoff set for 7:00 p.m.


QUINNIPIAC                        0            3            0            0            –            3
BROWN                        0            1            2            0            –            3


First Period – No Scoring. Penalties – Q, 1-2; B, 1-2.

Second Period – B, Brownschidle (Hathaway, Hourihan), 3:59; Q, Harvey (Davies, Tolkinen), 11:58; Q, Harvey (Bouharevich), PP, 13:54; Q, Dalhuisen (Robinson, Dunbar), 18:17. Penalties – Q, 1-2; B, 4-8.

Third Period – B, Buvinow (Zolnierczyk, Zaires), PP, 7:28; B, Robertson (Maclellan, Zaires), PP, 17:09. Penalties – Q, 4-8; B, 1-2.

Overtime – No Scoring. Penalties – Q, 0-0; B, 0-0.



Q, Dan Clarke (65:00) – 9-18-6-1 – 34; B, Mike Clemente (65:00) – 14-7-4-4 – 29.