Brown Beats Union in Overtime for Road Win

Brown news release…

SCHENECTADY, N.Y. – Sophomore Max Willman (Barnstable, Mass.) scored the game-winning goal with 28 seconds left in overtime to lift the Brown men’s hockey team to a comeback victory over Union, 3-2, in Friday’s ECAC contest at Messa Rink.

Brown improved to 1-3-0 overall and 1-2-0 in the ECAC with its first win of the season. Union dropped to 3-4-3 and 1-4-0, falling to the Bears at home for the second time in as many seasons.

Senior Nick Lappin (Geneva, Ill.) notched an unassisted goal off a turnover with 1:38 left in the third period to send the game to overtime. He also added an assist for the two-point effort. Sophomore Tim Ernst (Pickering, Ontario) recorded 37 saves, including 14 in the first period, while Alex Sakellaropoulos had 23 saves for Union.

Union went on the offensive in the opening stanza as the Dutchmen outshot the Bears by a 14-4 margin in the period. Union’s best chance came with 12:35 remaining when Ryan Scarfo unleashed a shot from the slot that rattled off the post. Ernst took care of the rest during the period to keep it scoreless at the first intermission.

Union capitalized on the five-minute major at 3:06 in the second period with a pair of power-play goals. Michael Pontarelli netted the go-ahead goal at 5:44 before Ryan Scarfo deflected a shot past Ernst with six seconds remaining on the power play for the two-goal lead.

Brown had its chance late in the period when Cole Maier’s penalty gave the Bears their first power play of the game. Brandon Pfeil (West Vancouver, British Columbia) made quick work of the opportunity when he rifled in a shot from the top of the right circle at 17:52 to trim the lead to 2-1. Max Gottlieb (Old Bridge, N.J.) and Nick Lappin both earned assists on the play.

Brown maintained pressure throughout the third period and it paid off when Lappin scored the equalizer with less that two minutes remaining. Union defenseman Connor Light had the puck behind the Union net, but bounced a pass off the boards right to Lappin in front, who put it past Sakellaropoulos to make it 2-2.

Willman scored his first goal of the season with 27.7 seconds left in overtime. Pfeil dug the puck out in Brown territory and slid it across the ice to Willman, as he raced down the left side and put back his own rebound for the game-winner.

Brown continues ECAC action tomorrow when it visits RPI at 7 p.m.