Brown Hockey Falls To Holy Cross In Season Opener

Brown University Press Release

PROVIDENCE, R.I. – Rookie Tommy Marchin (Algonac, Mich.) and senior Mark Naclerio (Milford, Conn.) scored back-to-back goals early in the third period to even the score, but Holy Cross responded with two unanswered tallies as the Bears fell, 7-5, in Saturday night’s season opener at Meehan Auditorium.

Brown starts the season at 0-1, while the Crusaders move to 2-4 overall.

Five different players scored for the Bears as senior Nick Lappin (Geneva, Ill.), sophomore Sam Lafferty (Hollidaysburg, Pa.) and senior Joe Prescott(Norwell, Mass.) notched their first tallies of the season. Mike Barrett paced the Crusaders with four points, including a pair of goals, while Castan Sommer also had two tallies.

Junior Tim Ernst (Pickering, Ontario) registered 28 saves in the loss. Tommy Nixon had 18 saves on the other end, before giving way to Paul Berrafato, who had eight saves and earned the victory.

Holy Cross drew first blood 3:05 into the contest when the Crusaders forced a turnover and followed with a goal by Brett Lubanski for the quick lead.

Brown answered right back 14 seconds later when Nick Lappin netted the team’s first tally of the season. After Holy Cross won the faceoff, Lappin forced the turnover along the boards, charged at the net and sent a centering pass to Marchin. Nixon denied Marchin’s bid, but Lappin was right there for the rebound to even the score, 1-1.

Matt Vidal netted the go-ahead goal for the Crusaders at 8:21 as his shot was initially stopped by Ernst, but trickled across the line just enough to make it 2-1.

Once again, Brown rallied back to even the score when Lafferty found the back of the net at 14:51. Junior Zack Pryzbek (Niagara on the Lake, Ontario) banked a pass off the boards to Lafferty in the offensive zone, before the sophomore eluded a defenseman and skated around the net for the wraparound goal to make it 2-2 at the first intermission.

The Bears carried over their momentum into the second period when Prescott scored at 9:21. Rookie Alex Brink (Hamilton, N.Y.) gained control of the puck behind the Holy Cross net and found Prescott in front for the go-ahead tally.

Holy Cross took advantage of consecutive Brown penalties when Barrett scored a 5-on-3 goal at 11:54. Brett Mulcahy added another at 13:06, before Sommer netted a short-handed goal at 19:22 for the two-goal advantage after the second period.

Brown roared back with a pair of goals in the opening three minutes of the third period. Marchin knocked home a rebound just 37 seconds into the stanza, before Naclerio angled a shot off the back of a defenseman at 3:01 to even the score, 5-5.

Nevertheless, Sommer scored his second goal of the night at 5:39 before Barrett buried a power-play goal at 12:17 to give the visitors a two-goal lead. Brown put up a fight during the final two minutes of the contest, when the Bears pulled Ernst and sent a flurry of shots at net but could not beat Berrafato, as the Crusaders held on for the win.

Holy Cross outshot the Bears, 35-31.

Brown kicks off a four-game road swing next weekend when it travels to Dartmouth (11/6) and Harvard (11/7).