Brown Rallies Past Bryant In Double Overtime Thriller

Brown University Press Release

PROVIDENCE, R.I. – Senior captain Allen Smith walked into the endzone in double overtime to lift the Brown Bears (1-0, 0-0 Ivy League) to a 44-38 come-from-behind win over the Bryant Bulldogs (0-3, 0-0 Big South) in the 2022 season-opener Saturday at Richard Gouse Field at Brown Stadium.

The win marked Brown’s first overtime victory since a 2016 home win over the Cornell Big Red.

“I’m really proud of our players, to play your first game against a really excellent football program, one we have immense respect for, it was an incredible football game and great to see us finish it,” said head coach James Perry ’00. “A lot of hard work goes into being able to pull that off and they did. We’ll really enjoy this win today and be back tomorrow making sure we’re getting fitter and stronger as the season goes on.”

The Bears got on the board first as Christopher Maron nailed a 39-yard field goal with 2:48 to play in the opening quarter for a 3-0 lead. On the ensuing kickoff, Bryant’s Anthony Frederick broke free for a 100-yard kickoff return touchdown to put the Bulldogs ahead, 7-3.

The Bulldogs extended the lead to 10-3 as Ethan Gettman hit a 26-yard field goal with 1:59 remaining in the second quarter. The Bryant scoring drive was kickstarted with an interception by Joe Andreessen that gave the Bulldogs a first and goal opportunity.

Bryant and Brown traded touchdowns to open the second quarter as Jihad Edmond caught a 40-yard touchdown pass from Zevi Eckhaus less than four minutes into the second half.

Brown’s response came from running back Jordan DeLucia, who ripped off a 50-yard run for the Bears’ first touchdown of the 2022 season.

Frederick pushed Bryant’s lead back to 14 with a 24-yard touchdown reception with 5:15 remaining in the third quarter.

The Bears found an offensive rhythm towards the end of the third frame and Hayes Sutton opened the fourth quarter with a 39-yard reception and score to bring Brown back within a possession.

Harrison Ochs jumped the route and intercepted an Eckhaus pass on Bryant’s next possession to put the Brown offense back on the field with a short field. After moving backwards on the first two plays, quarterback Jake Willcox hit Graham Walker in the endzone for a 30-yard score. Maron’s extra point was blocked to keep the Bulldogs ahead, 24-23.

Cooper DeVeau picked off an Eckhaus pass to put Brown’s offense back on the field, but the Bears were forced to punt with 7:30 remaining in regulation.

Ryan Clark punched in a one-yard touchdown rush and the Bulldogs added the extra point to go ahead 31-23 with 2:40 remaining.

Brown’s final drive in regulation was kickstarted by a 33-yard reception from Walker to put the Bears in the red zone. From there, Smith took the direct snap from the one-yard line and dove into the end zone to cut Bryant’s lead to two.

Willcox rifled a pass to Wes Rockett on the two-point conversion to even the score at 31-31 with just 42 seconds to play in the fourth quarter.

The Bulldogs won the overtime coin toss and deferred to send the Brown offense onto the field first. On a third and 8 from the 23-yard line, Willcox found Walker down the right sideline and the receiver high-pointed the ball for his second score of the game. Maron’s kick was good to give Brown its first lead since the opening quarter.

Bryant responded in overtime as Eckhaus found AC White for a 25-yard touchdown. Gettman’s kick sent the game to double overtime.

With Bryant starting on offense, the Bears defense found themselves in a third and 1 situation. DeVeau broke up a pass to the endzone on third down and on the next play, the Bears stuffed Clark for no gain to keep the Bulldogs off the board.

Facing a third and 14, Willcox rolled to his right and found open space for a 23-yard rush for a Bears first down. An unsportsmanlike conduct penalty against Jayvis Rayside put the Bears in a first and goal situation at the Bryant 3-yard line.

Smith lost a yard on the first down rush before walking into the endzone untouched on second down to give the Bears the thrilling victory.


  • Willcox finished the game 26-for-39 in the air for 356 yards and three touchdowns.
  • DeLucia led Brown rushers with 77 yards over eight carries, bolstered by the 50-yard touchdown rush.
  • Walker led Brown receivers with eight receptions for 116 yards along with a career-high two touchdowns. Rockett finished with four receptions for 69 yards.
  • The Bears finished the game with 30 first downs compared to 21 for the Bulldogs. Brown also finished with 505 total yards compared to 452 for Bryant.

Brown hosts Harvard (1-0, 0-0 Ivy League) next Saturday (Sept. 24) at Richard Gouse Field at Brown Stadium in the Ivy opener. Next Saturday’s game is scheduled to begin at 12:30 p.m. and will broadcast on NESNPlus.

Categories: College Sports, Sports