Brown Upsets 20th Ranked PC with Goal in Second Overtime

PC news release…

PROVIDENCE, R.I. – The 20th-ranked Providence College men’s lacrosse team fell to Brown University, 13-12, in double overtime on Tuesday, April 18 at Chapey Field at Anderson Stadium in Providence, R.I. Providence, who entered the match-up on a five-game win streak, dropped to 9-4 overall, while Brown improved to 6-5 on the year.

The game was tied 3-3 with 1:40 to play in the first quarter as the two teams traded goals to start the action. Austin Goltz (Orchard Park, N.Y.) and Brendan Kearns (Wantagh, N.Y.) tallied Providence’s first two goals of the night, tying the game each time. Sean Leahey (Cranford, N.J.) also scored a game-tying goal (3-3), marking the first of five-straight goals for Providence. The scoring streak extended well into the second quarter, culminating in a 7-3 lead with 47-second left on the clock before halftime.

Joining Leahey in the scoring column during the offensive outburst was Tim Hinrichs (Amherst, N.H.) to close the first quarter (1:27). Goltz, Kearns and Nick Hatzipetrakos (Syossett, N.Y.) then started the second quarter with three-straight tallies.

Brown got back on the scoreboard with just one-second left in the second quarter as Luke McCaleb found the back of the net on the EMO.

The non-releasable penalty extended into the third quarter and Brown took advantage, scoring a second-straight goal to get within two of the Friars (7-5) just 15 seconds into the action.

Providence took back the momentum as Ian Grey (Clifton Park, N.Y.) notched his first tally of the game with 12:59 showing on the clock in the third (8-5). Brown responded by scoring three of the next four goals to get within 9-8 with 2:20 remaining on the clock. The Friars’ lone goal during the stretch was scored by Joseph McHale (Bernardsville, N.J.).

Goltz completed his first career hat trick with 31 seconds remaining in the third quarter to give Providence a two-goal cushion (10-8).  The Bears found the back of the cage once more in the third as time wound down (00:03) to get within 10-9.

Providence opened the fourth quarter scoring as Goltz picked up his fourth tally of the game to give PC a 11-9 edge.

Brown answered with three-consecutive goals to take its first lead since the opening quarter (12-11) with 1:56 left in regulation.

Leahey gave the Friars life and tied the game with 53-seconds left on the clock and forced overtime.

After a scoreless four minutes in first overtime session, Brown ended the game with 3:16 on the clock in the second extra session.  Jack Kniffin was credited with the game winner.

Tate Boyce (Matthews, N.C.) finished the night with 13 saves for Providence. His counterpart, Phil Goss, also notched 13 saves for Brown.

The Friars return to action on Saturday, April 22 against BIG EAST foe and third-ranked Denver. The game will be televised on CBS Sports Network and opening face-off is scheduled for 3:30 p.m. (ET). The Friars and Pioneers enter the match-up unbeaten in BIG EAST play with identical 3-0 league records.