Brown Uses Late Run To Close Out Dartmouth, 67-65

Brown University Press Release

Providence, R.I. – Senior Zach Hunsaker (North Salt Lake City, UT) and junior Tamenang Choh (Lowell, MA) scored 15 points each to lead five double figure Brown scorers in a 67-65 Bears’ win over Dartmouth in an Ivy League game Friday evening at the Pizzitola Sports Center,
It wasn’t easy for Brown, who trailed by eight points at the half, but held a 10-point lead with 2:18 left in the game. Dartmouth’s Trevon Ary-Turner knocked down a trey for the Big Green with :07 seconds remaining to pull to within one point, 66-65.
Bears senior guard Brandon Anderson connected on one-of-two free throws with five seconds left for a 67-65 Brown advantage.  
The Big Green raced down the court, but James Foye’s long trey from the side from the side was off the mark as the final buzzer sounded.
“I’m real proud of our team, especially our senior guards Zach Hunsaker and Brandon Anderson,” said Brown head coach Mike Martin.  “Give Dartmouth a lot of credit for dictating the pace and tempo of the game in the first half. Our physicality and speed took over in the second half.  Jaylan Gainey changed the game with a second half stretch of blocks and dunks.” 
Choh posted his sixth double-double of the season with 15 points and a game high 11 rebounds. Hunsaker connected on 5-of-11 field goals, 2-of-6 from beyond the three-point arc, and 4-of-4 free throws.
Bears’ senior Brandon Anderson (Mahwah, NJ) chipped in with 13 points.  Sophomore Jaylan Gainey (Greensboro, NC) had 11 points and three blocked shots for the Bears, while freshman Perry Cowan (Chicago, IL) matched his career high with 11 points, knocking down 3-of-4 treys.
Dartmouth’s Chris Knight led all scorers with 17 points and six rebounds.  Aaryn Rai also scored in double figures for the Big Green with 13 points, while adding six rebounds.
The Bears out-rebounded the Big Green by a 33-27 margin that included 13 offensive rebounds. Brown’s second half shooting (54-percent) made up for its 27-percent first half shooting. The Big Green shot 54-percent from the field overall after 60-percent shooting in the opening 20 minutes.
Brown trailed 35-27 at the half and slowly inched back in the game. Cowan gave Brown its first lead, 50-48, since the 13:57 mark of the first half when he knocked down a trey with 7:35 left in the game.
The Big Green regained the lead, 52-50, with 6:19 remaining following a short jump shot by Rai.
The Bears came back once again with an 12-0 run, started by a three-point play by Gainey for a 53-52 lead. Brown extended the lead to four points, 56-52, on a Hunsaker jump shot with 3:11 left.
The lead went up to nine points, 61-52, with a frenetic 40-second sequence started by a dunk and a blocked shot by Gainey and another trey by Cowan with 2:31 left.  A free throw by Choh gave Brown its biggest lead, 62-52, with 2:18 left in the game.
Dartmouth came back to trail, 63-60, on a three-point play by Knight with just over a minute remaining. Choh connected on a free throw to give Brown a 64-60 lead with 24 second left, but Knight tipped in a missed shot to bring the Big Green to within two points, 64-62. 
With 14 seconds remaining, Hunsaker hit both free throws for a 66-62 Brown lead.
Dartmouth held a 35-27 lead at the half behind sizzling 60-percent shooting (15-of-25) from the field, including 5-of-7 from beyond the three point arc, while holding the Bears to 27-percent shooting (8-of-29). The largest Big Green lead came at the half on a buzzer-beating trey by Foye.
Brown completes its five-game homestand tomorrow evening (Saturday) with an Ivy League match-up against Harvard at the Pizzitola Sports Center.  Tip-off on ESPN+ is 6:00 pm.

Categories: Sports