Bryant Drops First Game of Florida Swing To FAU
Bryant University Press Release
BOCA RATON, Fla. – Charles Pride recorded a double-double with 28 points and 10 rebounds as the Bryant University men’s basketball team dropped an energetic affair, 86-74, to Florida Atlantic in the first game of the FAU Paradise Invitational.
The Bulldogs fall to 3-1 on the season and will continue their Florida trip on Saturday against Florida International.
Pride went 9-for-20 from the field, hitting a scintillating 5-of-7 from three, to pace the Black and Gold. He added 10 rebounds for his 18th-career double. Sherif Gross-Bullock (13), Antwan Walker (13) and Earl Timberlake (11) gave the Bulldogs four players in double figures. Miles Latimer contributed five points and eight rebounds.
Game InformationFlorida Atlantic 84, Brynat 74 Records: Bryant 3-1 | FAU 3-1 Location: FAU Arena (Boca Raton, Fla.) Attendance:
- Leading by two, 72-70, with 3:02 left, FAU missed two free throws but grabbed an offensive rebound and went back to the line. The same player hit two and FAU was able to hold on.
How it Happened
- Pride got his night going early as he scored the first six points for the Black and Gold. He finished a physical and-1 before burying the first of his five first-half threes.
- The Owls would eventually take a 13-8 lead before Timberlake tied the game with a traditional three-point play at the under-12 media.
- FAU retook a 25-24 lead before Pride drained three consecutive trifectas to give the Bulldogs a 33-27 lead with 3:19 left in the half.
- The Owls, however, held the Bulldogs scoreless over the final 2:19, ending the half on a 10-2 run, to take a 37-35 lead to the break.
- Bryant took a brief 43-42 lead on a pair of Timberlake free throws 2:30 into the second and then tied the game at 51-51 on a Gross-Bullock three with 12:40 left.
- The Owls then went on a 16-2 run over the next four minutes to take a 67-53 lead with 8:11 left.
- Bryant had an answer, going on a 17-5 run over the next five minutes to make it a two-point game, 72-70. Walker started the run with a three from the top and Gross-Bullock made it a six-point game with a three from the wing. Pride would bring Bryant within two, finishing with a beautiful move in the paint, with 3:43 to go.
- FAU then earned two free throws and missed both shots, but a rebound on the second miss gave the Owls a second chance. The offensive rebound started a 13-4 spurt to close the game for the Owls.
- Bryant finished the game 26-of-70 (37.1 percent) from the field, 8-of-23 (34.8 percent) from three and 14-of-20 (70.0 percent) from the line.
- The Bulldogs held a 51-39 advantage on the boards.
- Bryant turned the ball over 21 times, leading to 20 FAU points.
- Pride led all scorers with 28 points on 9-of-20 shooting. He made 5-of-7 from three. Pride also added 10 rebounds for a double-double.
- Walker posted 13 points and six rebounds despite playing a good chunk of the second half with four fouls.
- Gross-Bullock also finished with 13 and added three assists.
- Timberlake chipped in 11 points, eight rebounds and two assists.
- Latimer had five points, eight rebounds and two assists.
- Bryant and FAU were meeting for the first time in program history.
- Bryant turned the ball over a season-high 21 times.
- Pride recorded his 18th career 20-point game and finished in double-figures for the 56th time in his 86-game career.
- Pride now has 1,163 points, inching closer to Frankie Dobbs (1,172) for fourth in DI program history.
- Pride’s 10 rebounds give him 602 for his career. He joins Alex Francis and Dan Garvin as the only Bulldogs to record 600 career rebounds at the DI level.
- Walker’s 13 points were a season high.
Up NextThe Bulldogs continue their Florida trip on Saturday when they face Florida International in Miami. Tip is set for 7:02 p.m.