Bryant Outlasts Binghamton To Advance To America East Men’s Lacrosse Championship Game
Bryant University Press Release
BURLINGTON, Vt. – Aidan Goltz scored four times and finished with five points, while Teagan Alexander made the last of his 11 saves with 34 seconds left as the second-seeded Bryant University men’s lacrosse team advanced to the America East Championship with a 12-11 win over third-seeded Binghamton on Thursday night at Virtue Field.
With the win, the Bulldogs improve to 11-4 on the year and will face fourth-seeded UAlbany, a 10-4 winner over top-seeded Vermont earlier Thursday, in Saturday’s America East Championship. The game will be aired nationally on ESPNU and will start at 1:00 p.m.
Goltz scored three of his four goals in the first quarter, while goals from Connor McMahon and Mason Drouin broke a 10-10 tie in the fourth quarter. Alexander posted 11 saves as Bryant’s defense held one of the league’s top offenses at bay late in the game. Jacob Alexander won 11-of-17 at the X.
Game InformationNo. 2 Bryant 12, No. 3 Binghamton 11 Records: Bryant 11-4, Binghamton 9-5 Location: Virtue Field (Burlington, Vt.) Notes: America East Semifinal
- Tied 10-10 in the fourth quarter, McMahon took a dump off from Johnny Hackett and wired a shot low to give Bryant an 11-10 lead.
- Binghamton got possession and called timeout with a little over a minute left. Alexander then stood tall, making a save with 34 seconds left to preserve a one-goal lead.
How it Happened
- Goltz came out of the gates firing on all cylinders. He wired home two howitzers to give Bryant an early lead. He completed his hat trick with a slick move later in the quarter. Goltz got the defender to bite with a pump fake, shifted to his right and whistled one home.
- The Bearcats were able to answer back and take a 4-3 lead.
- With time winding down in the quarter, John Tomsheck started in the corner and raced past his defender, tip-toed the goal crease and finished to tie it with 17 seconds left.
- The Black and Gold would then outscore Binghamton 5-2 in the second quarter to take a 9-6 lead into the locker room. Goltz’s 40th of the year made it 5-4 before Binghamton quickly tied it.
- A beautiful transition goal would give Bryant the lead back. Brody Rule started the play with a ground ball on the defensive end. He raced upfield and found Goltz who quickly fired to Tanner Alexander in the middle for a quick goal.
- Jacob Alexander would make it 8-6 with a goal off a faceoff win and McMahon made it 9-6 as he redirected a pass from Timmy Hackett into the back of the net.
- The Bearcats, however, scored the first three goals of the third quarter to tie the game at 9-9. Jack Lonsinger broke the tie with a goal as the shot clock expired. Kevin Groeninger raced from X and found Lonsinger on the doorstep for the goal.
- The Bearcats would again tie the game, scoring less than two minutes into the fourth quarter.
- McMahon had an answer, taking a pass from Johnny Hackett and beating the goalie low to make it 11-10.
- Drouin pushed the lead to two as he feigned a stop and raced by his defender, finishing high over the right shoulder of the goalie.
- The Bearcats would score with 1:21 left and then get the ball back. Quinn O’Hara made an attempt to tie it but Alexander made the save to preserve the win.
- Bryant outshot Binghamton, 40-39.
- The Bulldogs held a 33-25 edge in ground balls.
- Bryant had a slight edge in faceoffs, winning 14-of-27.
- Goltz finished with four goals and an assist.
- McMahon potted a pair of goals.
- Johnny Hackett (2a) and Timmy Hackett (1g, 1a) each had two points.
- Tanner Alexander scored a goal, had two ground balls and caused three turnovers.
- Jacob Alexander scored a goal and finished 11-of-17 at the X.
- Teagan Alexander posted 11 saves.
- Bryant won both meetings with Binghamton this season.
- The win is Bryant’s first America East Playoff victory. Bryant will now play for the America East Championship for the first time ever.
- Timmy Hackett extended his point streak to 21 games dating back to last season.
- Groeninger now leads the team with 61 points on the year.
- Goltz recorded his eighth hat trick of the year. He now has 40 goals and 55 points.
- McMahon finished with multiple goals for the fourth time this year.
Up NextBryant will face UAlbany in the America East Championship on Saturday afternoon at 1:00 p.m. The game will air on ESPNU.