Bryant Rallies Past LIU Friday To Complete Two-Game Sweep
Bryant University Press Release
SMITHFIELD, R.I. – The Bryant University men’s basketball team rallied from 12 down with 6:34 remaining to earn a heart-pumping 63-60 victory over Long Island University on Friday afternoon at the Chace Athletic Center.
Bryant improved to 9-0 at the Chace this season and clinched at least an NEC semi-final home game with the dramatic comeback. The Bulldogs wrap up their regular season next Tuesday and Wednesday with a chance to clinch their first NEC Regular-Season title.
On Friday, Alex Rivera’s layup gave the Sharks a 59-47 lead with 6:34 left in the game. Bryant would outscore LIU 16-1 the rest of the way. Junior Chris Childs pull Bryant within two with an electrifying four-point play with 2:49 left and then canned two free throws to tie the game a minute later. Sophomore Michael Green III then sank a pair of free throws with two seconds left to give Bryant the lead. An LIU three at the buzzer fell off the rim.
Bryant featured five players in double-figures, with Green III leading the way with 14. Redshirt senior Hall Elisias added 12 points and 14 boards, classmate Peter Kiss posted 13 points and 10 boards and sophomore Charles Pride finished with 10. Childs scored all of his 10 points in the final 3:26.
Bryant 63, LIU 60
Records: Bryant 14-5, 10-4 NEC | LIU 9-9, 9-9 NEC
Location: Chace Athletic Center (Smithfield, R.I.)
- With the Bulldogs trailing by six, Childs dribbled once and then launched a three from the top. The ball swished through the net as Childs was fouled. He would complete the four-point play.
- Tied 60-60 with 10 seconds to go, Green III charged to the hoop and was fouled hard with 2.7 seconds left. He calmly sank two free throws.
How it Happened
- Like Thursday, the beginning of Friday’s game was played at a frenetic pace. With both teams bringing their own energy in an empty gym, the Bulldogs and Sharks played basket-for-basket.
- Green III drilled a wide-open three from the top to make it 14-12 and Elisias followed with full palm swat at the other end.
- Kiss converted on the other end following the block to make it 16-12 with 13:28 to go.
- LIU then rattled off the next nine points before an Elisias dunk and a Kiss three knotted things at 21-21.
- It would be back-and-forth from there as the teams would trade baskets over the remaining nine minutes of the half.
- An Alex Rivera three would give LIU a 34-30 lead with 3:47 to go in the half.
- Bryant responded. Luis Hurtado Jr. finished at the rim and Green III followed with a step-back trifecta to make it 35-34 with 2:39 left.
- Green III would then sink a floater and Elisias tipped home an offensive board to give the Bulldogs a 39-36 lead at the break.
- With the Bulldogs mired in a 2-for-13 shooting slump, LIU posted a 19-4 run to take a 12-point edge with 6:34 remaining.
- Kiss canned a pair of free throws to make it a 10-point game and Elisias finished a beautiful bounce pass from Childs to make it eight.
- After an LIU miss, Childs charge the rim and laid it while getting fouled for a conventional three-point play.
- Moments later, Childs drilled a three and was fouled for a four-point play to make it 60-58 with 2:49 left.
- A minute later, Childs charged the rim again and was fouled. He canned both free throws to tie the game.
- Kiss then intercepted an LIU pass to setup a Bryant possession. Green III got the ball off the inbounds and was fouled as he went to the rim. He canned both free throws.
- Bryant finished the game 20-of-59 from the field (.339), 7-of-24 (.292) from three and 16-of-20 (.800) from the line.
- Bryant outrebounded LIU, 40-32.
- The Bulldogs turned the ball over just 13 times on the night.
- Green III finished with 14 points, making 6-of-8 free throws. He added three assists.
- Kiss posted a double-double with 13 points and 10 boards. He added three steals.
- Elisias also finished with a double-double, posting 12 points and 14 boards. He added two blocks.
- Pride finished with 10 points and two steals.
- Childs added 10 points.
- With the win, the Bulldogs have secured a home NEC semi-final game on March 6.
- Bryant is now 9-0 at home this season. It is the best start in DI program history at home.
- After not beating LIU since 2016, the Bulldogs posted two wins in less than 24 hours.
- Kiss finished with his first double-double of the year.
- Elisias posted his fourth double-double of the year, tying him for the team lead.
Bryant wraps up the regular season next week when it hosts Mount St. Mary’s on Tuesday (Mar. 2) and Wednesday (Mar. 3). Tip for both games is set for 4:00 p.m.