Bryant Routs Sacred Heart With Seven Players In NEC Semifinal, Will Host Title Game Tuesday
Bryant University Press Release
SMITHFIELD, R.I. – The second-seeded Bryant University men’s basketball team opened the second half on a 21-2 run and cruised to an 85-55 victory over third-seeded Sacred Heart in Saturay’s Northeast Conference Semifinals at the Chace Athletic Center.
With the win, the Bulldogs advance to the NEC Championship game for the first time in program history. Bryant will face fourth-seeded Mount St. Mary’s on Tuesday night at the Chace Athletic Center. Tip is set for 7:00 p.m. on ESPN2.
On Saturday, Peter Kiss led five double-figure scorers with 19 points, five boards and six assists. Hall Elisias scord 18 and had nine board and Charles Pride recorded a double-double with 16 and 11. Erickson Bans pitched in 13 points and Luis Hurtado Jr. had 12 points, five boards and five assists.
Bryant 85, Sacred Heart 55
Records: Bryant 15-5 | Sacred Heart 9-9
Location: Chace Athletic Center (Smithfield, R.I.)
- Kiss drilled a three from the wing to make it a 20-point game less than four minutes into the second half. Hurtado Jr. followed with six-straight points moments later to make it 53-30.
How it Happened
- Sacred Heart scored the first five points on Saturday but the Bulldogs chipped away and grabbed the lead on a Bans three with 17:34 left in the first half. The Bulldogs wouldn’t trail the rest of the way.
- The Pioneers kept the game within six until Kiss made his first basket of the game, a three, to make it 31-22 with 3:51 left in the half.
- Pride converted two free throws in the final minute to give the Black and Gold an 11-point lead at the break.
- Bryant stormed out of the gates in the second half, using a 21-2 run to open the game.
- Kiss drilled a three to push the lead to 20 and force a Sacred Heart timeout.
- Hurtado Jr. continued the run with six-straight points. He drilled a three from the wing and then completed a three-point play the next possession.
- Bryant cruised from there.
- Bryant finished the game 35-of-55 (.636) from the field, 7-of-17 (.412) from three and 8-of-10 (.800) from the line.
- Bryant outrebounded Sacred Heart, 39-20.
- The Bulldogs had 15 assists and turned the ball over just 11 times.
- Kiss scored 19 points on 8-of-14 shooting. He made 3-of-6 from three and added five rebounds and six assists.
- Elisias finished 8-of-9 from the field for 18 points. He added nine boards and three blocks.
- Pride posted a double-double with 16 points and 11 boards.
- Bans added 13 points, four rebounds and two assists.
- Hurtado Jr. posted 12 points, five boards and five assists.
- Kai Kostmayer added seven points and three boards off the bench.
- Bryant was playing in its second NEC Semifinal.
- Bryant will be making its first appearance in the NEC Championship game on Tuesday.
- The victory is just the second playoff win for the Black and Gold. It is the first since March 4, 2015 against the Pioneers.
- Bryant snapped a five-game losing streak to the Pioneers. It is Bryant’s first win over Sacred Heart in Smithfield since 2015.
- Bryant is now 10-0 at home this season. It is the best start in DI program history at home.
- Pride posted his team-leading fifth double-double of the year.
- Bans’ 13 points were his most against a Division I opponent.
Bryant will host fourth-seeded Mount St. Mary’s in the NEC Championship game Tuesday night at the Chace Athletic Center. Tip is set for 7:00 p.m. on ESPN2.