Campground rec hall destroyed by fire

Some of the Hamill family looked on as what’s left of Camp Ponagansett’s recreation hall was torn down Monday afternoon.

Ann and Walter Hamill opened the campground in the 1960’s.

Flames tore through the rec hall building around 11:00 Sunday night. Chepachet Fire had to call in help from surrounding towns, relying on water from the nearby pond to put out the fire.

The heat melted the side of the Hamill’s home and nearby vehicle, but luckily flames didn’t spread to the home itself.

The owners say most campers would stay on the grounds for the whole summer, and if not for the recent rain, they would probably already be open.

The rec hall had just been cleaned up and was ready to open its doors to campers, but that is now put on hold until they figure out how and when to rebuild.

One firefighter was injured battling the blaze, but is expected to be okay.

©WLNE-TV 2019