Charlestown man found guilty of first-degree sexual assault
CHARLESTOWN, R.I. (WLNE)- Attorney General Peter F. Neronha announced Tuesday that a Charlestown man has been found guilty of first-degree sexual assault.
The trial was held on Friday in Washington County Superior Court where 27-year-old Angelo Fraley was found guilty of one count of first-degree sexual assault.
The charge stemmed from a 2015 incident in Narragansett.
On June 30, 2015, Fraley sexually assaulted an 18-year-old girl near an abandoned building near the beach at the University of Rhode Island’s Bay Campus.
The Attorney General’s office says earlier that day, Fraley and the victim had been spending time with friends at the beach in Narragansett. After the group split up, he sexually assaulted the victim while remaining near the beach area.
A status date will be set to schedule possible post-trial motions or a potential sentencing hearing.
“This verdict should send a strong message that perpetrators of sexual violence will be held accountable for the terrible trauma they inflict upon their victims,” said Attorney General Neronha.
He continued, “It is my hope that this outcome represents a positive step forward in the ongoing healing process for the victim and her loved ones.”