College Hockey Players Sickened After Game in RI

NORTH SMITHFIELD, R.I. (AP) – Nearly two dozen members of a Massachusetts college hockey team were held overnight for observation at a local hospital after a suspected case of nitrous dioxide poisoning at a North Smithfield rink.

According to a spokesman at Milton Hospital in Massachusetts, the 23 players on the Curry College team were expected to be released Saturday.

Officials believe the poisoning was caused by fumes from a Zamboni machine used to prepare the ice during a hockey game Thursday against Johnson & Wales University at the Rhode Island
Sports Arena.

On Friday morning, the Curry players began reporting to Milton Hospital with symptoms including dizziness, trouble breathing and coughing up blood.

Hospital spokesman Jason Bouffard said tests showed they were exposed to nitrous dioxide.

None of the Johnson & Wales players reportedly fell ill.

(Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press.  All Rights Reserved.)