Comic Con officials make security improvements

By Bianca Buono

bbuono@abc6.com

@BiancaBuono

Several Rhode Island Comic Con fans remember last year’s show as a nightmare after being told they couldn’t go inside. But this year, it’s a different story.

"We knew there were a number of issues we had to correct for the show to continue and continue safely,” said Lawrence Lepore, General Manager of the Dunkin’ Donuts Center and the Rhode Island Convention Center.

Lawrence Lepore and his team are spending the weekend in a command center where they watch over the show they carefully organized.

"Last year only the convention center was used so this year we’ve used the Dunk and the convention center,” Lepore said.

In addition to expanding venues and making the show a three-day affair, tickets are being monitored in a different way. They’re scanned on the way in and also on the way out.

"What you see behind us is actually the counts, live counts as patrons come in and leave. We monitor them and the cameras so we know where the majority is in the two facilities. We try to thin it out so that it’s safe for the crowd to be in both buildings,” said Lepore.

Though many still had to wait in long lines to get in, fans we talked to are satisfied with the changes.

"It’s a lot better than it was last year. There’s space. If it was last year I wouldn’t be able to do this, I don’t think, open them up or anything,” said attendee Melissa Cook.

"I think they’ve worked all those problems out this year,” said one attendee.

Tickets for Saturday sold out just 30 minutes after doors opened. There are still tickets available for Sunday.

Officials expect around 50,000 people at Comic Con this weekend.

© WLNE-TV 2015