Gov. Raimondo says summer youth sports will be allowed with restrictions starting June 1

Raimondo says no league sports or tournaments will be allowed. She hopes for that to come in phase 3.

PROVIDENCE, RI (WLNE) – In her COVID-19 media briefing Thursday, Gov. Raimondo said youth sports will be allowed with new guidance starting June 1.

She said there must be stable groups of 15 kids or fewer. That means no league sports or tournaments in phase two but Raimondo expressed she hopes that can come in phase 3.

“I feel great about this,” Raimondo said. “I look forward to seeing kids outside playing sports.”

Raimondo previously said that Phase 2 will last the entire month of June.

More guidelines from the CDC will be posted later Thursday on reopeningri.com.

The Rhode Island Department of Health (RIDOH) reported 124 new positive cases and 22 deaths Thursday. RIDOH says 1,869 tests were recorded  Wednesday.

That brings Rhode Island’s cumulative totals to 14,494 cases and 677 deaths.

There are 222 people in the hospital, 53 are in the ICU, and 36 require a ventilator. Those numbers are slightly up from yesterday.

Despite the small increase Raimondo on Thursday claimed that hospitalizations are declining.

“It continues to be a good news story,” Raimondo said about hospitalizations down. “On Monday it is my intention to begin Phase 2. We are not seeing any increases.”

Raimondo said a lot of information will be going on reopeningri.com later Thursday. That information will lay out the details of the changes for indoor dining, barbershops, salons, gyms, youth sports. Raimondo said every area except large group gatherings will be reopening.

The Governor repeated that indoor dining can start Monday at 50% capacity allowed. Reservations will be needed ahead of time. Restaurants must only take your name and phone number for a reservation. No buffets and no bars.

On another note, Raimondo noted that Rhode Island Courts will be opening more fully on June 1. They will go through the backlog which will include evictions.

However, Raimondo says the courts have agreed to not process any COVID-19 related evictions before July 1. They will be dealing specifically with evictions initiated before March 17.

Raimondo also said $5 million is being added to fund for Rhode Islanders to pay past-due rent. The original $1.5 million was depleted quickly.

Categories: Coronavirus, News, Rhode Island