Cranston Street Armory in Providence to be site of World Cup watch parties
PROVIDENCE, R.I. (WLNE) — The Cranston Street Armory, also known as El Castillo, will be the site of World Cup watch parties.
Fans can watch the quarterfinals, semifinals, and championship matches on a 40-foot screen inside the Drill Hall this December.
“The Cranston Street Armory is an iconic part of Providence’s landscape, and I am excited to see it reinvigorated and open to the public — especially for something as exciting as World Cup soccer,” said Mayor Jorge Elorza.
The watch parties are free, family friend, and open to all ages. Local food trucks and drinks will be available for purchase.
The iconic building in Providence’s West End has been closed to the public for over 30 years.
“I encourage the West End community and soccer fans throughout our state to enjoy a match with fellow fans at the Armory, and I look forward to seeing the building’s future uses,” said Elorza.
The watch parties’ schedule is as follows:
- Friday, Dec. 9 — doors open 9:30 a.m. Game times 10 a.m. and 2 p.m.
- Saturday, Dec. 10 — doors open 9:30 a.m. Game times 10 a.m. and 2 p.m.
- Tuesday, Dec. 13 — doors open 1:30 p.m. Game time 2 p.m.
- Wednesday, Dec. 14 — doors open 1:30 p.m. 2 p.m.
- Sunday, Dec. 18 — doors open 11:30 a.m. Game times 12 p.m.
El Castillo is located at 123 Dexter St.