Cuomo: Rhode Island will no longer be stopping New Yorkers at their border
New York Governor Andrew Cuomo said Rhode Island will no longer be stopping New Yorkers at the border. This comes one day after Cuomo threatened to sue the state if Raimondo did not pull back the policy.
However, Governor Raimondo said she superseded her original executive order and now all passenger cars with out of state plates, including New York, will continue to be stopped.
“I don’t think the order was called for, legal, or neighborly,” Cuomo said. There’s different ways to do it and the Governor of Rhode Island was receptive and I thank her very much for reconsidering her position.”
Col. James Manni with the Rhode Island State Police said they have 4 information centers set up, to notify all out of state drivers on the mandatory 14 day quarantine for anyone planning to stay in Rhode Island. They will be asked to provide their contact information and destination, which will be collected by the Rhode Island National Guard and forwarded to the Department of Health.
“All out of state passenger cars will be required to stop at one of the information centers on the highway and secondary roads,” Col. James Manni with the Rhode Island State Police said. “It will not just be New York.”
“We have clear legal authority to direct drivers to information centers,” Col. Manni said. “The procedure we have in place does not violate anyone’s constitutional rights.”
Raimondo acknowledged she spoke to Cuomo and said it was after she had already taken action.
“If he wants to take credit go ahead, I’m going to keep working here to keep Rhode Islanders safe.”
Trooper starting setting up checkpoints on Friday stopping all drivers with New York license plates. The Rhode Island National Guard also started door knocking on homes to ensure New York residents knew about the mandatory 14 day quarantine.