Curry Scores Career-High 28 Points, VCU Hands URI Sixth Straight Loss
University of Rhode Island Press Release
Rhode Island Starters
Sebastian Thomas, Ishmael Leggett, Makhi Mitchell, Makhel Mitchell, Ishmael El-Amin
Adrian Baldwin, Jr., Mikeal Brown-Jones, Keshawn Curry, Hason Ward, Keshawn Curry
How it Happened
Keshawn Curry scored a career-high 28 points and Rhode Island’s offensive struggles continued as URI lost 73-64 Tuesday night.
VCU (15-7, 8-3, A-10) opened the game with a 12-2 run in the first five minutes, causing URI to call a timeout. The hosts opened the game making 4-of-5 from the field, including each of its first three 3-point attempts.
Rhode Island (12-10, 3-7 Atlantic 10) responded with a 6-0 spurt and began to chip away. URI got within four points on four different occasions. Over the final five minutes of the half, VCU outscored Rhode Island 20-7 to take a 17-point lead into the break.
Rhode Island opened the second half with an 8-1 run. A 3-pointer by Ishmael Leggett closed the gap to 42-32, but URI was never able to get within single digits until a layup by Jalen Carey in the final seconds capped the game’s scoring.
Inside the Box
- Rhode Island had four players in double figures, led by center Makhel Mitchell’s 12 points.
- He added 10 rebounds for his first double-double of the season.
- Guard Jeremy Sheppard had 11 points, including 3-of-6 from 3-point range.
- Sheppard also had a team-high seven assists.
- Forward Makhi Mitchell had 11 points to go with seven boards.
- Guard Ishmael Leggett added 10 points.
- Guard Malik Martin had nine points and seven rebounds.
- Forward Antwan Walker chipped in seven points and six boards.
- Guard Jalen Carey returned after missing a game with an injury. He had four points and four assists.
- Rhode Island was 12-of-29 at the free throw line.
- The loss was URI’s sixth in a row.
Rhode Island returns home to host Davidson Saturday, Feb. 8. Game time is 2 p.m. on ESPNU.